What Does Fd Represent in Net Force Calculations?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the acceleration of an object and determining the net force, with the question of what Fd represents. The question cannot be fully answered without further information about the problem.
reganw
I'm trying to calculate the acceleration of an object but first I need to calculate the net force. For this question we were told Fnet = Fa-Fd-Ff.. just wondering what Fd is?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
not ! calculate net force (N) how can including the work done (J).:smile:

You should check out your question purposely that what kind of the force(Fd) is.

xiaoB said:
not ! calculate net force (N) how can including the work done (J).:smile:

You should check out your question purposely that what kind of the force(Fd) is.

hmm.. I just don't know what it could be.. there's Fn, Fa, Ff, Fg all in the question but I don't know where the Fd comes from.. maybe Fdown?

Why don't you post the actual question, in it's entirety?

Redbelly98 said:
Why don't you post the actual question, in it's entirety?

It's a simulation, everything can be altered so there isn't really a question to post. And I can't post the link to it because it's an internal website.

We have no information other than there is an object with 3 forces acting on it, and these forces are to be labeled Fa, Fd, and Ff. Is there really nothing else you can tell us about the problem?

Ff usually means a frictional force. But Fa and Fd do not have a usual definition that I am aware of, though Fa might be used for an applied force. But here I am only guessing at the things you already know, but have neglected to tell us. I'm afraid that without more information, it is unlikely that we can help out.

Last edited:

1. What is net force?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account the magnitude and direction of all individual forces acting on the object.

2. How do you calculate net force?

To calculate net force, you need to add up all the individual forces acting on an object. If the forces are acting in the same direction, you can simply add them together. If the forces are acting in opposite directions, you need to subtract the smaller force from the larger one to find the net force.

3. What is the unit of measurement for net force?

The unit of measurement for net force is Newtons (N). This is a derived unit that represents the amount of force needed to accelerate a mass of 1 kg at a rate of 1 m/s².

4. How does net force affect an object's motion?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the net force acting on an object determines its acceleration. If the net force is zero, the object will remain at rest or continue moving at a constant velocity. If the net force is non-zero, the object will accelerate in the direction of the net force.

5. Can net force be negative?

Yes, net force can be negative. This means that the individual forces acting on an object are in opposite directions, resulting in a net force in the negative direction. Negative net force can cause an object to decelerate or move in the opposite direction of the force.