Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Calculating Net force

1. Oct 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Dough boy took a ride in his new car, he hammers the throttle in 2 seconds and his velocity is 45 km/hr (assume constant acceleration). The mass of the Viper is approximately 800kg, Find the net force acting on the viper.

To be honest I am clueless on this question, I have done it myself and gotten the wrong answers. The answer to the net force is 5000N as stated in the answers part but I am not sure how to get that. Would appreciate any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2012 #2
    First, find the acceleration using a kinematics equation, and then use Newton's second law to find the net force.

4. Oct 11, 2012 #3
    Hi there can you please provide the kinematic equation? Is it a=v/t ? If so I got 22.5 m/s2 which I suspect is wrong...

5. Oct 11, 2012 #4
    Acceleration is not v/t. Remember that acceleration is a change in velocity, so you can't just write v/t because you've got all sorts of values you could plug in for velocity. You're half right though. Try the change in velocity over the time, or Δv/t.

Also, it's not stated in this problem, but I think you should assume the car's initial velocity is 0 m/s.

6. Oct 11, 2012 #5
    Okay I just got the answer, thanks for reminding me of the kinematic equations. I was focused on solving this with only dynamic equations.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook