Calculating Net Force for a Viper Accelerating at 45 km/hr in 2 seconds

In summary, the question asks to find the net force acting on a Viper car with a mass of 800kg, given its velocity of 45 km/hr after 2 seconds of acceleration. To solve, first use a kinematics equation to find the acceleration, then use Newton's second law to calculate the net force. It is important to note that the initial velocity should be assumed to be 0 m/s.
socialfox

Homework Statement

Dough boy took a ride in his new car, he hammers the throttle in 2 seconds and his velocity is 45 km/hr (assume constant acceleration). The mass of the Viper is approximately 800kg, Find the net force acting on the viper.

To be honest I am clueless on this question, I have done it myself and gotten the wrong answers. The answer to the net force is 5000N as stated in the answers part but I am not sure how to get that. Would appreciate any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, find the acceleration using a kinematics equation, and then use Newton's second law to find the net force.

Hi there can you please provide the kinematic equation? Is it a=v/t ? If so I got 22.5 m/s2 which I suspect is wrong...

Acceleration is not v/t. Remember that acceleration is a change in velocity, so you can't just write v/t because you've got all sorts of values you could plug in for velocity. You're half right though. Try the change in velocity over the time, or Δv/t.

Also, it's not stated in this problem, but I think you should assume the car's initial velocity is 0 m/s.

Okay I just got the answer, thanks for reminding me of the kinematic equations. I was focused on solving this with only dynamic equations.

1. What is net force?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account both magnitude and direction.

2. How do you calculate net force?

Net force is calculated by adding together all of the individual forces acting on an object, taking into account their direction and magnitude.

3. What is the formula for calculating net force?

The formula for calculating net force is Fnet = ΣF, where Fnet represents the net force and ΣF represents the sum of all individual forces acting on the object.

4. What are the units for net force?

The units for net force are typically measured in Newtons (N) in the SI system or pounds (lbs) in the imperial system.

5. How does net force affect an object's motion?

Net force is directly related to an object's acceleration, according to Newton's second law of motion (F = ma). If the net force on an object is zero, the object will remain at rest or continue to move at a constant velocity. If the net force is non-zero, the object's motion will change.