1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Net force

1. Oct 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Dough boy took a ride in his new car, he hammers the throttle in 2 seconds and his velocity is 45 km/hr (assume constant acceleration). The mass of the Viper is approximately 800kg, Find the net force acting on the viper.

To be honest I am clueless on this question, I have done it myself and gotten the wrong answers. The answer to the net force is 5000N as stated in the answers part but I am not sure how to get that. Would appreciate any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2012 #2
    First, find the acceleration using a kinematics equation, and then use Newton's second law to find the net force.

4. Oct 11, 2012 #3
    Hi there can you please provide the kinematic equation? Is it a=v/t ? If so I got 22.5 m/s2 which I suspect is wrong...

5. Oct 11, 2012 #4
    Acceleration is not v/t. Remember that acceleration is a change in velocity, so you can't just write v/t because you've got all sorts of values you could plug in for velocity. You're half right though. Try the change in velocity over the time, or Δv/t.

Also, it's not stated in this problem, but I think you should assume the car's initial velocity is 0 m/s.

6. Oct 11, 2012 #5
    Okay I just got the answer, thanks for reminding me of the kinematic equations. I was focused on solving this with only dynamic equations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook