Calculating neutrino flux density

In summary, the person is preparing for their final A2 Physics paper and is struggling with an article about neutrinos. They have been given some questions to practice, including one about calculating the neutrino flux density at the Earth's surface given the distance and production rate of the Sun. The person has attempted to solve the question using their knowledge of magnetic flux density, but there are a few errors in their approach. They are seeking confirmation or corrections from others.
carvell
Third and final A2 Physics paper tomorrow.

Currently struggling with one of the articles we have been given to study before the exam. It's all about neutrinos. I've been given some questions to try, educated guesses by teachers on what could come up on the exam paper.

"If the Sun is 150 Gm away and produces 2 * 10^38 (2E38) neutrinos per second, what is the neutrino flux density at the Earth's surface?"

My best guess based on what I know about magnetic flux density so far is:

2E38 / 150G = 1.3E27

I realize that 150Gm isn't an area, but that's the best I could do!

Is there anyone that can confirm my answer/tell me it's all completely wrong?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
carvell said:
Third and final A2 Physics paper tomorrow.

Currently struggling with one of the articles we have been given to study before the exam. It's all about neutrinos. I've been given some questions to try, educated guesses by teachers on what could come up on the exam paper.

"If the Sun is 150 Gm away and produces 2 * 10^38 (2E38) neutrinos per second, what is the neutrino flux density at the Earth's surface?"

My best guess based on what I know about magnetic flux density so far is:

2E38 / 150G = 1.3E27

I realize that 150Gm isn't an area, but that's the best I could do!

Is there anyone that can confirm my answer/tell me it's all completely wrong?

Thanks.

Couple of things I can see wrong:
1) Units... your units are 1/(m*s)... this is wrong for flux
2) What does magnetic flux density have to do with this?

Try thinking about it this way: what size does the Earth look like from the sun? Can you find the solid angle subtended by the Earth at a radius of 150 Gm? Are you to assume that the particles are uniformally distributed

1. What is neutrino flux density?

Neutrino flux density is a measure of the number of neutrinos passing through a specific area per unit time. It is usually expressed in units of particles per square centimeter per second.

2. How is neutrino flux density calculated?

Neutrino flux density is calculated by dividing the total number of neutrinos passing through a specific area by the area and time interval in which they were observed. This calculation takes into account the energy and direction of the neutrinos.

3. Why is it important to calculate neutrino flux density?

Calculating neutrino flux density allows scientists to better understand the properties and behavior of neutrinos. It can also provide insights into cosmic events, such as supernovae, that produce large numbers of neutrinos.

4. What factors can affect neutrino flux density?

Neutrino flux density can be affected by the distance between the source of neutrinos and the observation point, the energy and direction of the neutrinos, and any intervening matter that may alter the path of the neutrinos.

5. How is neutrino flux density measured?

Neutrino flux density is typically measured using detectors, such as the Super-Kamiokande detector, which can detect the interactions of neutrinos with other particles. These detectors are placed in areas where a high flux of neutrinos is expected, such as near nuclear reactors or in deep underground mines.