1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating norm of a matrx

1. Sep 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am trying to show that
    (1) [tex]||A||_1 = \max_j \sum_i |a_{ij}|[/tex]
    (2) [tex]||A||_2 = \sqrt{max\_eigval\_ of\_{ } A^* A}[/tex] where A* is the conjugate transpose
    (3) [tex]||A||_\infty = \max_i \sum_i |a_{ij}|[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    In general,
    [tex]||A||_p = max_{x\neq 0} {{||Ax||_p}\over{||x||_p}}[/tex]
    where for a vector we have
    [tex]||x||_p = \left( \sum_i |x_i|^p \right)^{1\over p}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    First of all, write
    [tex](Ax)_i = \sum_j a_{ij} x_j[/tex].
    (1) Here we have
    [tex]||Ax||_1 = max_{x} {{\sum_i \left|\sum_j a_{ij} x_j \right|}\over{\sum_j |x_j|}}[/tex].
    I'm pretty sure we could switch the summation order in the numerator too. But I don't know how to proceed from here.
    (2) Here we have
    [tex]||Ax||_2^2 = max_x {{x^* A^* A x}\over{x^* x}}[/tex] using [tex]||x||_2^2 =x^* x [/tex]
    Now, I read somewhere that the x that maximizes this is an eigenvector of [tex]A^* A[/tex]. So we get
    [tex]||Ax||_2^2 = \lambda_{max}[/tex], the largest eigenvalue.
    My only problem with this is: How do we know that an eigenvector will maximize it?
    (3) Here we have
    [tex]||Ax||_\infty = max_x {{max_i \left( \left| \sum_j a_{ij} x_j \right| \right)}\over{max_j (|x_j|)}}[/tex]
    using
    [tex]||x||_\infty = max_j (x_j)[/tex].
    Again, I don't know how to proceed from here. It seems that in order to arrive at the answer (which I like to pretend that I don't know),
    I would need to choose x to be a vector where all the components are the same. Then the x_j's would cancel and i get the right answer.
    But I don't see why such an x is guaranteed to maximize ||A||.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2008 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For (1), note that, for a fixed i,

[tex]\left| \sum_j a_{ij} x_j \right| \leq \sum_j |a_{ij}| |x_j| \leq \max_j |a_{ij}| \sum_j |x_j|.[/tex]

Use this to conclude that [itex]\|Ax\|_1 \leq \max_j \sum_i |a_{ij}|[/itex]. Can you find unit vectors to help guarantee that equality is achieved?

A similar technique can be applied to (3).

As for (2), note that A*A is Hermitian, so we can unitarily diagonalize it. Let B={v_1, ..., v_n} be an orthonormal basis for C^n consisting of eigenvectors of A*A. Writing [itex]x=k_1 v_1+\cdots+k_n v_n[/itex], we see that (with respect to the basis B)

[tex]x^*A^*Ax = (k_1^*, \ldots, k_n^*) \left(\begin{array}{cccc} \lambda_1 \\ & \lambda 2 \\ & & \ddots \\ & & & \lambda_n \end{array}\right) \left(\begin{array}{c}{k_1 \\ \vdots \\ k_n \end{array}\right) = \sum_j \lambda_j |k_j|^2.[/tex]

Can you take it from here?

4. Sep 21, 2008 #3
    Yes! That is a tremendous help. Thank you very much.
    Is the answer to your question "Can you find unit vectors to help guarantee that equality is achieved?" a vector
    [tex]x=\left(\begin{array}{c}{0 \\ 0 \\ \vdots \\ 0 \\ 1 \\ 0 \\ \vdots \\0 \end{array}\right)[/tex]
    where the 1 is in the max_j-th row?

5. Sep 21, 2008 #4

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yup, that'll get you that [itex]\sum_i |a_{ij}| \leq \|Ax\|_1[/itex] for each j.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?