1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Normal Force

1. Jan 26, 2008 #1
    Hello there,

I am trying to find the coefficient of friction for a rectangular wooden block. I have the force of friction but I do not know how to find the normal force.

The weight of 1 block is 2N. Could someone please explain how I could find the normal force? Would I just multiply 2N by 9.81 m/s^2 ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2008 #2
    The formula typically used for this scenario is (The Force of Kinetic Friction) = (The Coefficient of Friction) * (The Normal Force)

For the weight of the block, you should realize that both weight and force are the same units. For an object resting on a horizontal surface the normal force and weight must cancel out, otherwise the object would be accelerating up or down.

You should be able to figure out the rest.

By the way, these forums have sone guidelines about where to post: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8128
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?