Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating of heat transmission loss (convection) in a thick glass plate

1. Apr 10, 2009 #1
    Hi.

Do anybody here know how much and how quick a 50-100mm thick tempered glass plate of size 500mm * 500mm fully heated up within its bulk mass to a temperature of 60 degrees celcius looses it heat energy/temperature over time when surrounded by standing ambient air (20 degrees celcius)?

What I want to know, is the temperature profile "out-of-plane" inside the 50-100mm thick glass and related to time, especially within the first 10 minutes.

I know there are several programs out there, who could answer this question, such as COMSOL 3.5, ANSYS Multiphysics, etc. But unfortunately I don't have access to any of these fancy software packages.

Did anyone here made already/are able to do some calculations related to the above?

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted