1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating omega as a function of time for a flywheel

1. Dec 4, 2011 #1
    hiya all, I've done a experiment which was hanging a mass from a light string wrapped around the axis of a flywheel. The mass was released and the flywheel began to rotate.

during calculations ive found out it would be great to have ω as a function of time and ive been stuck about how to get this.

could I do a force diagram using F=ma?, but then im unsure of the mass "m".
    would I use the mass which is falling and add the moment of inertia of the flywheel or is this very wrong? :(.

or could I use energy stored such as

mgh=1/2Iω2+1/2mr2ω2+K

mgh, loss in potential energy of the falling mass

kinetic energy in the flywheel

kinetic energy in the falling mass

where K would be the frictional force i think it would be proportional to ωr

could i replace h the height the mass has fallen by using the F=ma bit i talked about above then replace h=1/2at2 then solve for t or ω??

ive thought about this alot and always been stopped by not knowing how to calculate something or use F=ma with moment of inertia stuff could someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks alot Danny

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted