Calculating Orbital Pathways with Ellipses and Rosettes

• Thread starter mreuterskiold3
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the pathway of a position on Earth's surface around its axis, around the sun, around the galaxy, drawn in towards the Andromeda galaxy, outwards from the center of the big bang, inwards towards a theoretical spiral. The user is seeking help in rewriting the equation for calculating arc length using an extruded ellipse or rosette instead of a circle, and also extrapolating the center point of the axis pathway into an ellipse or rosette. They also mention calculating the motion of the center of the final rosette towards another point when both points are moving outward from a shared center point, which is also moving inward towards a center point in a spiral pathway.
mreuterskiold3
I'm trying to calculate the pathway of a particular position on Earth's surface around its axis, around the sun, around the galaxy, drawn in towards the andromeda galaxy, outwards from the center of the big bang center, inwards towards a theoretical spiral...anyone?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The Academic Guidance forum is intended for those users who have questions about attending various academic institutions or the courses they might take there.

If you have a technical question about a scientific topic, there are several technical forums to choose from.

I'm moving your thread to the Astronomy forum, where it should receive more attention and pertinent replies.

alright ill explain this in different parts. i already know how to calculate arc length, but i want to know how to re-write the same equation with an extruded ellipse instead of a circle, i would also like to re-write it using an extruded rosette instead of a circle. the next step would be to calculate arc length when pathway of the axis of rotation is either an ellipse or a rosette. the next step would to take that equation and extrapolate the center point of the axis pathway into an ellipse or rosette. (I'd prefer rosettes as they would show more precise measurements in variation). Next would be to calculate the motion of the center of the final rosette towards another point (approximated average at the moment) when both points are moving outward from another shared center point which is also moving inward toward a center point in a spiral pathway.

1. How do you calculate orbitals-rosette?

To calculate orbitals-rosette, you first need to know the mass and velocity of the object in orbit. Then, using Kepler's laws of planetary motion and Newton's law of gravitation, you can determine the shape and size of the orbit.

2. What is the purpose of calculating orbitals-rosette?

The purpose of calculating orbitals-rosette is to understand the motion of objects in orbit and predict their future positions. This is important for space exploration, satellite communication, and understanding the dynamics of the solar system.

3. How do you determine the shape of an orbit using orbitals-rosette?

The shape of an orbit can be determined by calculating the eccentricity, which is the measure of how elliptical or circular the orbit is. This can be done by using the equation e = (r_max - r_min) / (r_max + r_min), where r_max and r_min are the maximum and minimum distances of the object from the focus of the orbit.

4. Can orbitals-rosette be used for all types of orbits?

Yes, orbitals-rosette can be used for all types of orbits, including circular, elliptical, and parabolic orbits. However, it may not be accurate for highly eccentric or chaotic orbits.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating orbitals-rosette?

Calculating orbitals-rosette relies on simplifying assumptions and may not accurately predict the motion of objects in certain situations, such as when there are multiple bodies in the system or when there are significant external forces acting on the object. Additionally, it may not be applicable to very small objects, such as subatomic particles.