Calculating Parallel Circuits (IR1, VR1, IT,) etc

In summary, Newton's second law states that the rate of change of momentum of a body is directly proportional to the net force applied to it, meaning that if there is a net force acting, the body will accelerate. This law is often summarized as "force equals mass times acceleration".
BigDanT
Hard Stuff

Can anyone explain to me what Newtons 2nd law means?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
?? Neither "hard stuff" nor "Calculating parallel circuits"!

Newton's second law means exactly what it says: If a moving object has absolutely no forces acting on it then it will continue to move in a straight line at constant velocity".

You could say that "means" that only a force will change the speed or direction of motion of a body.

HallsofIvy said:
?? Neither "hard stuff" nor "Calculating parallel circuits"!

Newton's second law means exactly what it says: If a moving object has absolutely no forces acting on it then it will continue to move in a straight line at constant velocity".

...er ...Isn't that Newton's First Law?

The Second law states that the rate of change of momentum of a body is directly proportional to the net force applied to it. Or in simple terms, if there is a net force acting, a body will accelerate.

1. What is the formula for calculating total resistance in a parallel circuit?

The formula for calculating total resistance in a parallel circuit is 1/RT = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... + 1/Rn, where RT is the total resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances.

2. How do I calculate the total current in a parallel circuit?

The total current in a parallel circuit is equal to the sum of the individual branch currents. This can be calculated by using the formula IT = I1 + I2 + I3 + ... + In, where IT is the total current and I1, I2, I3, etc. are the individual branch currents.

3. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected one after another, creating a single path for the current to flow. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches, allowing the current to flow through different paths.

4. How do I calculate the voltage in a parallel circuit?

The voltage in a parallel circuit is the same across all branches and is equal to the source voltage. This means that the voltage can be calculated using the formula VR = VS, where VR is the voltage in the circuit and VS is the source voltage.

5. What is a Kirchhoff's current law and how does it apply to parallel circuits?

Kirchhoff's current law states that the sum of the currents entering a node must equal the sum of the currents leaving the node. In a parallel circuit, this means that the total current entering the node must be equal to the sum of the individual branch currents leaving the node.