Calculating pH of a Monoacidic Base Solution in Water

In summary: Thanks for asking. :)In summary, the pH of the solution will be: (a)-log x, (b)14-log x, (c)14+log x, (d)-log (14-x).
Saitama

Homework Statement

x mole of a strong monoacidic base is dissolved in one litre of water. The pH of the solution will be
(a)-log x
(b)14-log x
(c)14+log x
(d)-log (14-x)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For instance i assumed that the base is NaOH but it does not react with water to form any compound. So i am confused how should i start?

Thanks! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm still working on "monoacidic base"...
What's that?

OK. I just Googled it. So you have a base that generates 1 mole of OH- per mole of base in water. You also know the following:
1) pH = -log[H+]
2) [H+][OH-] = 1.01 X 10-14

Can you get it from there?

Last edited:
First calculate the pOH, which equals to -log[OH-].
Then, pH=14-pOH. That's it.

chemisttree said:
I'm still working on "monoacidic base"...
What's that?

OK. I just Googled it. So you have a base that generates 1 mole of OH- per mole of base in water. You also know the following:
1) pH = -log[H+]
2) [H+][OH-] = 1.01 X 10-14

Can you get it from there?

I think it isn't stated that it generates one mole of OH-. :smile:

Pranav-Arora said:
I think it isn't stated that it generates one mole of OH-. :smile:

Monoacidic base is written in the form of MOH where M is any univalent metal.

Hints :
1 mole of MOH in water furnishes one OH- ion.
Then x moles of MOH will furnish... ?

Write an ionic equation in terms of "x" and think about Mole Concept once again. You can then use the formulas given by chemisttree.

Last edited:
sankalpmittal said:
think about Gay Lussac's law and Avogadro's law.

Huh? What do the laws concerning gases have to do with the pH of the solution?

This isn't a hard question as i thought of and thanks to chemistree for the idea of pOH.

I found out the pOH which is -log x. Then calculated pH, which is completely easy pH=14-pH.

@sankalp:- I think i am not that bad at chemistry that you need to remind me of Mole concept.

I just forgot to reply in this thread after solving the problem. :P

1. What is the definition of pH?

The pH scale is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution. It ranges from 0 to 14, with 7 being neutral. Solutions with a pH less than 7 are considered acidic, while solutions with a pH greater than 7 are considered basic or alkaline.

2. How do I calculate the pH of a monoacidic base solution in water?

To calculate the pH of a monoacidic base solution in water, you will need to know the concentration of the base, the dissociation constant of the base, and the volume of the solution. The formula for calculating pH is pH = -log[H+], where [H+] is the molar concentration of hydrogen ions in the solution. You can find the concentration of hydrogen ions by using the dissociation constant and the concentration of the base.

3. What is the dissociation constant of a monoacidic base?

The dissociation constant, also known as Ka, is a measure of the strength of an acid or base. It is the equilibrium constant for the dissociation reaction of the acid or base in water. For a monoacidic base, the dissociation constant is equal to the concentration of the conjugate acid over the concentration of the base. It is typically given in scientific notation, with a smaller Ka indicating a weaker base.

4. Can I use the same method to calculate the pH of a polybasic base solution?

No, the method for calculating the pH of a polybasic base solution is different. Polybasic bases have multiple dissociation constants, and the pH calculation involves considering the contribution of each dissociation step. The overall pH of the solution will depend on the strength of each dissociation and the concentration of each species present in the solution.

5. How does temperature affect the pH of a monoacidic base solution?

The dissociation constant of a monoacidic base is temperature-dependent, meaning that as the temperature increases, the dissociation constant may change. This can affect the pH calculation and the overall pH of the solution. It is important to use the correct dissociation constant for the temperature at which the solution is being measured to ensure accurate results.