1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Pi

1. Mar 20, 2005 #1
    In what way can i calculate PI and output the result to the screen ?
    I heard from my friedn that MC method is good but is there any other ways to do that ? also, how many decimal digits am I able to output the result ?
    Thank you in advance

-KMCB1234

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2005 #2
    Well for what purpose are you trying to calculate pi and what screen are you displaying it on??

4. Mar 21, 2005 #3
    If you are trying to write something to test the speed of computer or machine... or if you just want a basic way of calculating pi
    i might suggest

since
    [tex] arctan(1)=\frac{\pi}{4} = 1 - \frac{1}{3}+\frac{1}{5}-\frac{1}{7}+\frac{1}{9}[/tex]...
    just multiply by 4 and have your program run a loop
    [tex] \pi= 4-\frac{4}{3}+\frac{4}{5}-\frac{4}{7}+\frac{4}{9}[/tex]...

5. Mar 21, 2005 #4
    Example code for TI-83

Pgrm Pi
    Clrhome
    4>p
    3>n
    0>s
    lbl AA
    Disp "Pi",p
    If s=0
    then
    p-(4/n)>p
    1>s
    n+2>n
    goto AA
    End
    If s=1
    then
    p+(4/n)>p
    0>s
    n+2>n
    End
    Goto AA

Last edited: Mar 21, 2005
  6. Mar 21, 2005 #5
    That should work I haven't tested it I just wrote it... I wrote a similar program a long time ago and I think I did something similar. This isn't the quickest way to calculate pi but its a good one if you want to see digits slowly change into pi.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?