Calculating quantum wavelengths

In summary, my supervisor explained to me that when you localize a quark within a proton, the uncertainty in energy of the system becomes really big, which leads to a load of creation and annihilation of other particles.
nf405

Homework Statement

Ok,as part of my dissertation I'm trying to explain about how quarks have a bigger quantum wavelength than protons so when you localise a quark inside a proton, the uncertainty in energy of the system becomes really big so there's a load of creation/anhilitation of other particles going on inside the proton.
This is how my supervisor explained it but I'm not sure I get it...

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what my supervisor said;
(I'm using D as 'uncertainty in', and h means h bar)

to work out quantum wavelength of a proton;
Start with Heisenberg

1)DpDx>h (for a start I think this should be h/2)

2)then use E=pc ------I don't understand why you can use this- it's not a realtivistic case. My supervisor said it works if you say that the proton is gaining energy by being hit with photons... but then

3) sub equation (2) into(1)

DE>hc/Dx

but the momentum in 1) is the momentum of the proton and in 2) its the momentum of the photon so how does that work?

4) then you sub in E=mc^2 to get; Dx>hc/mc^2

and the quantum wavelength is h/mc

I don't think this is right does anyone have a better argument?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's a poor argument, though the end result is correct (to within some factors of pi and 2). The correct argument involves the limitation that dE be less than mc^2, in order that you do not create two particles out of one.

I still don't quite understand- do you still start from Heisenberg?

Ok is it something like;

DpDx>h/2

then I'm thinking maybe use kinetic energy/ momentum relation to get to energy?
(p=(2mE)^-1/2)

and when you say dE<mc^2 is that the mass of the proton? cause surely it should be the mass of any other possible particle...?

1. What is a quantum wavelength?

A quantum wavelength is the length of a wave associated with a particle's quantum mechanical properties, such as its energy and momentum. It is also known as the de Broglie wavelength.

2. How is the quantum wavelength calculated?

The quantum wavelength can be calculated using the de Broglie equation, which is λ = h/mv, where λ is the wavelength, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the particle, and v is its velocity.

3. What is the significance of calculating quantum wavelengths?

The calculation of quantum wavelengths is important because it helps us understand the wave-like behavior of particles at the quantum level. It also allows us to make predictions about the behavior and interactions of particles.

4. Can the quantum wavelength be measured?

Yes, the quantum wavelength can be measured using various experimental techniques, such as diffraction or interference experiments. However, the extremely small size of quantum wavelengths makes it challenging to measure accurately.

5. How does the mass and velocity of a particle affect its quantum wavelength?

The de Broglie equation shows that the quantum wavelength is inversely proportional to the mass and directly proportional to the velocity of the particle. This means that lighter particles and particles with higher velocities will have shorter quantum wavelengths.