1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Radioactive Decay

1. Oct 30, 2005 #1
    The carbon in living matter contains a fixed proportion of the radioactive isotope carbon-14. The carbon-14 in 1.00g of carbon from living matter has an activity of 0.250Bq. The half-life of carbon-14 is 5730. When a plant dies the proportion of carbon-14 decreases due to radioactive decay. A 1.00g sample of carbon from an ancient boat has an activity of 0.160Bq. Determine the age of the board.

Here's how I solved it...

Original Activity = 0.25Bq
    Activity of Sample = 0.16Bq

Then I just calculated what's that as a ratio of the original activity...

0.16/0.25 = 0.64

Then multiplied the half time by this number:

5730 * 0.64 = 3666 years ~ 3700 years

Which is the correct answer. However this seems like a bit of a fluke. Especially since I've got a feeling I should be using this formula:

x = x(original) ^-(lamda)*(time)

Can anyone put my mind at ease, was my answer a fluke or is that a valid method to calculating the answer?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2005 #2
    Well if you do it your way you aren't really considering the fact that it's an exponential decay.
    I would say that you would use the activity equation given by:
    [tex]A=A_oe^-^\lambda ^t[/tex]
    It's just as easy. Just rearrange it and then take the natural log of both sides to solve for t.
    Where [tex]\lambda=ln(2)/T_1_/_2[/tex]
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2005
  4. Oct 30, 2005 #3
    Thanks a lot!!
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?