1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating rate of change

1. Dec 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The concentration c of fish away from a feeding point in a lake is given by c(x,y) = 1/(x2 + y2). Find the total change of fish concentration detected by an observer riding a boat traveling with a speed u = 10 m/s straight away from the feeding point. What is the corresponding change detected by a stationary observer.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Can someone give me how to start solving this problem. I'm having trouble making a start at it.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I'm guessing that the concentration of fish is actually
    [tex]c(x, y)~=~\frac{1}{x^2 + y^2}[/tex]

Since the boat with the observers is moving in a straight line away from the feeding point, c(x, y) = c(r) = 1/r2. Can you calculate the rate of change of concentration with respect to r?

4. Dec 5, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Mark44's idea, to change to "polar coordinates" is excellent. To change from "an observer riding a boat traveling with a speed u = 10" to "a stationary observer", use the chain rule: dc/dt= dc/du du/dt

5. Dec 5, 2009 #4
    Thank you very much.... question solved.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook