1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Re(z)

1. Feb 17, 2015 #1
    In the equation 1/z = 1/R +1/(iwL), why isn't the real part just R?

Unless my rearrangement is wrong, z=R+iwl, so Re(z) should definitely be R!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2015 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Yes, your rearrangement is wrong. [itex]\frac{1}{a}= \frac{1}{b}+ \frac{1}{c}[/itex] does NOT give "a= b+ c". As a check, suppose b= c= 2. The 1/a= 1/2+ 1/2= 1 so a= 1 But b+ c= 4, not 1.

From [tex]\frac{1}{z}= \frac{1}{R}+ \frac{1}{iWL}[/tex], multiply on both sides by all denominators, RiWLz, to get RiWL= iWLz+ Rz= (R+ iWL)z. Solve that for z to find the real and imaginary part.

4. Feb 17, 2015 #3

wabbit

Gold Member

So you're saying 1/(R+iwL)=1/R+1/(iwL) ?

5. Feb 17, 2015 #4
    Yes. I did actually think that was weird, not sure why I didn't check it. Let me try that rearrangement again...

6. Feb 17, 2015 #5
    z = -R2ω2L2/(iωL+R) is my second attempt!

Edit: maybe not. L squared too. And that makes life more difficult! What do I do about i on the denominator? Multiply by the conjugate?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  7. Feb 17, 2015 #6

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Pretty standard: multiply both numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator.
    [tex]\frac{a+ bi}{c+ di}= \frac{a+ bi}{c+ di}\frac{c- di}{c- di}[/tex][tex]= \frac{ac+ bd+ (bc- ad)i}{c^2+ d^2}=[/tex][tex]\frac{ac+ bd}{c^2+ d^2}+ \frac{bc- ad}{c^2+ d^2} i[/tex]

Here you want to multiply numerator and denominator by [tex]R- i\omega L[/tex].

8. Feb 17, 2015 #7
    z = RiwL/(R+iwL)
    Realise the denominator:
    (iR2wL+Rw2L2)/(R2+w2L2)

9. Feb 17, 2015 #8

wabbit

Gold Member

You can do better than that (your first line is OK though).
    Try this as a warm up : forget the exercise, just compute [tex]\frac{1}{a+ib}[/tex]. Then go back to z.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook