1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating refractive index

1. Mar 24, 2012 #1
    How can i calculate the refractive index knowing only the frequency of the light entering the medium from air?

n(refractive index) = (speed of light in vacuum) / (speed of light in medium)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2012 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can't, unless you are provided with a formula for the refractive index in terms of frequency or wavelength.

p.s. Welcome to Physics Forums.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  4. Mar 25, 2012 #3
    Yeah, I think the problem I have here doesn't have all the information. Thanks anyway! Thanks also for welcoming me here ^^

5. Mar 25, 2012 #4
    I believe that for real indexes of refraction, Re (n(λ)) = c/v(λ).

If the index of refraction varies with wavelength (dispersion), then there is absorption as well as dispersion, which is equivalent to a complex index of refraction. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refractive_index
    See in particular the section on Complex index of refraction and absorption.

6. Mar 25, 2012 #5

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

But in this situation we don't have v(λ), we only have the frequency [itex]\nu[/itex]. From that we can get λ in air, but not λ in the medium or v(λ) for that matter.

7. Mar 25, 2012 #6
    I should have said for ANY n(λ), the velocity v(λ) = c/Re (n(λ))

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook