Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating required amount of molecular sieves for PSA?

1. May 26, 2015 #1
    Does anyone know how to properly calculate the amount of molecular sieves needed for a pressure swing adsorption system?

I have searched application notes, books, and of course google, and while I find the basics of how they are constructed I cannot find any information on the quantity required.

My theory is that I will need enough surface area to hold the output flow rate worth of nitrogen with a minimum of 2x "safety factor". For example I want to build a 5LPM flow oxygen concentrator.

For 5LPM O2 output I would have 23.8LPM of air of which 18.8L would be N2, and 5L would be O2.

Assuming I have a 10 second cycle time I would need to hold 3.13L of N2, and with a 2x "safety factor" I would need say enough sieves to hold 6L of N2 before exhausting. I would then double that amount to get a continuous flow switching between 2 beds at approximately 50PSI input pressure.

This is however just a guess. Any input is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook