Calculating Residue at -2: Math Methods w/ Arfken et al.

• Thread starter curious_mind
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Residue
In summary, the conversation discusses an example from the book "Mathematical Methods - a Comprehensive Guide" and the confusion surrounding the calculations involved. There is a question about the use of limits and the potential typo in the example. The expert provides clarification on the potential typo and suggests an alternative solution.
curious_mind
Homework Statement
Calculate the residue of the complex function ## f(z) = \dfrac{\ln z}{z^2 + 4} ## at ## z = 2 e^{i \pi} ##
Relevant Equations
## a = \lim_{z \rightarrow z_0} \left[ \left(z_0 - z\right) f(z) \right] ##
This question is given as an example in the book by
Arfken, Weber, Harris, Mathematical Methods - a Comprehensive Guide, Seventh Edition.

It is solved as below attached in the image.

Can someone point it out how they proceed with calculations ? I do not seem to get their calculation.
I am aware ## \ln z ## is a multivalued function. But at this point I do not know things about Branch points and etc.

According to my understanding the function is not singular at point ## z=2 e^{i \pi} =−2 ## . So why they have used limits ?

Am I missing something ? Please help.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20230317_074323.jpg
    20230317_074323.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 61
Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
Even then, in numerator, it should be ## \ln 2 + i \dfrac{\pi}{2} ## right ?

Likes vanhees71
fresh_42 said:
I guess there is a typo and it should be ##z_1=2e^{i \pi /2}.##
Or the denominator was supposed to be ##z^2-4##. In either case, the example is all messed up.

curious_mind said:
Even then, in numerator, it should be ## \ln 2 + i \dfrac{\pi}{2} ## right ?
Yes, ...
vela said:
Or the denominator was supposed to be ##z^2-4##. In either case, the example is all messed up.
... and yes. At least, ##2e^{i \pi /2}## is a singularity. However, ##z=-2## would be faster to solve.

Likes SammyS

1. What is the purpose of calculating residue at -2?

The purpose of calculating residue at -2 is to determine the value of a complex function at a specific point in the complex plane. This is useful in various areas of mathematics and physics, such as in evaluating integrals and solving differential equations.

2. How is the residue at -2 calculated?

The residue at -2 is calculated using the formula Res(f,c) = (1/(n-1)!) * lim(z->c) [d^(n-1)/dz^(n-1) * (z-c)^n * f(z)], where n is the order of the pole at c and f(z) is the complex function being evaluated. This formula is derived from the Cauchy Residue Theorem.

3. Can the residue at -2 be negative?

Yes, the residue at -2 can be negative. The sign of the residue depends on the order of the pole and the function being evaluated. A pole of even order will have a positive residue, while a pole of odd order will have a negative residue.

4. What is the significance of the residue at -2?

The residue at -2 is significant because it allows us to calculate the value of a complex function at a specific point without having to evaluate the entire function. This can save time and effort in solving complex problems involving complex functions.

5. Are there any applications of calculating residue at -2?

Yes, there are many applications of calculating residue at -2. Some examples include evaluating complex integrals, solving differential equations, and analyzing the behavior of physical systems in quantum mechanics and electromagnetism.