1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating resultant stress

1. Jun 14, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"see attachment"

Normally I would assume that the stress caused by the point load at A is equal to σ=P/Area. however since there is a distance between the two points and because of Saint Venants principle, I don't think that the stress at A will be the same with the stress at D. In order to find the stress at D, do I have to find the centroid or the moment? (using this equation σ=((-My)/I) ) or angle of twist??

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, the attachment is not totally clear on the position of A, but let's assume that the force at A is applied at the center of the cross-section.

Why would you assume that a centrally loaded member has developed a bending moment?

What is it about this problem which makes you think St. Venant's principle applies?

You've got a prismatic member with a square cross-section. Can't you identify the location of the centroid without calculation?

4. Jun 14, 2014 #3
    I don't think that there will be any moment in the center load. (Can I assume that the stress will be exactly the same for the entire rectangle?)

For the St. Venants principle, I think it is there because point D is on the side of the rectangle, i doubt that it will experience the same stress as that of the centre of the rectangle.

The centroid should be in the centre of the rectangle.

5. Jun 14, 2014 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, axial loads are assumed to produce the same stress over the entire cross-section. After all, that's what σ = P/A means.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted