Calculating resultant velocity

In summary: In this particular case, c is the 4.2 x 10^2 (the initial speed), and a and b are the headwind and tailwind speeds, respectively. So, after using trigonometry to work out the angles, you'd just need to subtract the headwind speed from the final speed (420 - 30 = 339).
v3ra
An airplane has an air speed of 4.20 × 10^2 km/h [N 45° E]. The wind speed is 30 km/h
to the west.

a) What is the airplane’s resultant velocity?

I decided to use the trigonometric solution, but I am confused on how to break the equation down in order to get 399 km/h

c2 = a2 + b2 - 2ab.cosC
c2 = (4.20 x 10^2)^2 + (30)^2 - 2( 420) x (30)cos135
c2 = (17640000 + 900) - 17819
c2 = 17623081
c2 = ? (I tried square root of 17623081, but of course this is far off from the answer)

Please assist!

Physics news on Phys.org
You're on the right track with the trigonometric approach, but you went about it wrong. The initial velocity you have is 4.2 x 10^2 at an angle of 45 degrees North of East. Isn't your c term the 4.2 x 10^2?
From here you have a wind slowing down the x direction of the plane.
The velocity you have now is incorporating both the x and y directions. How can you divide the velocity up so you can deal with the x and y directions separately?

Hmm.. I am not sure what you mean. I am terrible at this! I don`t know the velocity (the 339 km/h is the answer I am suppose to find) so how would I divide it up?

Yes, but I am not sure if I am doing it correctly.
Would a = 420 km/h [N 45 E] + b = 30 km/h [W] equals the resultant? But, when drawing it, at what angle would 30 km/h [W] be?

Draw it.

You will see it's a simple case of a 30 km/h headwind at 45 degrees off the plane's nose.

So the effect of the headwind along the path of the plane will be 30*cos (45). Subtract that from 420 and you have your answer.

You can use trig if you like - but a bit of thought will often save you having to remember complicated formulae.

1. What is the definition of resultant velocity?

Resultant velocity is the overall or net velocity of an object, taking into account both its speed and direction. It is calculated by adding together all of the individual velocities acting on the object.

2. How do you calculate resultant velocity?

To calculate resultant velocity, you can use vector addition. This involves breaking down the velocities into their horizontal and vertical components, adding them together, and then using the Pythagorean theorem to find the resultant velocity.

3. What is the difference between resultant velocity and average velocity?

Resultant velocity takes into account the overall change in velocity and direction, while average velocity only considers the overall change in displacement. Resultant velocity is a vector quantity, while average velocity is a scalar quantity.

4. Can resultant velocity be negative?

Yes, resultant velocity can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive reference point. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the net velocity.

5. How does mass affect resultant velocity?

Mass does not directly affect resultant velocity, but it can affect the individual velocities that make up the resultant velocity. For example, a heavier object may have a greater velocity than a lighter object if both are moving at the same speed but have different masses.