Calculating rotational inertia

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of energy as a means to solve a problem, specifically in relation to the conservation of momentum and rotational energy in a flywheel and HST system. The speaker questions why their approach using energy did not result in the correct answer and asks for clarification on the concept. The expert explains that the conversion of energy in this scenario is not evenly distributed and cannot be assumed to be conserved. They also compare the scenario to an excited atom emitting a photon.
Pochen Liu

Homework Statement

How come I can't get the correct answer using Energy as a way to solve this?
upload_2018-11-2_20-34-24.png

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
The answers use conservation of momentum which makes perfect sense and I understand that, however I used an energy approach where E(flywheel) = E(HST)

So E(flywheel) = 0.5 * 43.2 * 3.22^2 = 223.967J
E(HST) = 0.5 * I * 0.07539^2 (I know this is the correct angular velocity from the answers)

When I solve this I = 78807.427 Kgm^2, the answer is 1850.

What am I doing wrong conceptually? And what have I done, as in, if given a different situation where would have my working have resulted in the correct answer?

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-2_20-34-24.png
    upload_2018-11-2_20-34-24.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 578
Physics news on Phys.org
What makes you think energy should be the same for the flywheel and for HST?

Because when I throw a ball into the air the Ek is converted into Eg and then all (most of it) is converted back into Ek as it falls back down, so shouldn't this apply to E(rotational) too?

Pochen Liu said:
Because when I throw a ball into the air the Ek is converted into Eg and then all (most of it) is converted back into Ek as it falls back down, so shouldn't this apply to E(rotational) too?
But this is not at all what is going on. Initially both HST and the flywheel have an energy of 0. Then internal energy (likely stored in a battery) is used to produce motion. Since rotational energy cannot be negative, the rotational energy after turning on the flywheel is positive for both HST and the flywheel. The conversion of energy is from internal energy in the battery to rotational energy so you cannot assume that rotational energy among the two components is conserved. Furthermore, in your approach the total energy is not conserved since it is 0 at the beginning and non-zero in the rotation. You are just making an ad hoc assumption that the rotational energies of each component must be the same.

What you have is more similar to an excited atom emitting a photon. The excess energy is not split evenly between the photon and the atom. Due to the atom being much heavier, the photon will take (most of) the energy.

Likes Pochen Liu

1. What is rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is similar to mass in linear motion and depends on the object's mass and how it is distributed relative to its axis of rotation.

2. How is rotational inertia calculated?

Rotational inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. This is also known as the parallel axis theorem.

3. What are the units of rotational inertia?

The units of rotational inertia depend on the units used for mass and distance. In the SI system, it is typically measured in kilograms per meter squared (kg·m²). In the imperial system, it is measured in slug·ft².

4. How does the shape of an object affect its rotational inertia?

The shape of an object plays a significant role in determining its rotational inertia. Objects with larger dimensions or more mass distributed further away from the axis of rotation will have a higher rotational inertia compared to objects with smaller dimensions or mass concentrated closer to the axis of rotation.

5. What is the significance of calculating rotational inertia?

Calculating rotational inertia is important in understanding an object's behavior when rotating. It helps in designing machines and structures to ensure stability and proper functioning. It is also a crucial concept in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.