1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Rth error?

1. Dec 16, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi Guys,

I am doing a number of questions on finding Rth and can across this example. When I looked at the answers I had a different one to them but I actually think they may be wrong.

Could you guys please take a look?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So they have Rth found (once voltages are short circuited) as Rth = 8*2/8+2 = 1.6 Ohms but that implies that one of the 2ohm resistors is it series with the 6 ohm resistor but I don't think it is. I think that both 2ohm resistors are in series and then those are in parallel with the 6 ohm so Rth is 2.4 ohms.
    I may be wrong but what do you guys think?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2014 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

As you say, the text solution is incorrect. But your result is also incorrect, likely due to a calculation issue. Check your calculation.

4. Dec 16, 2014 #3

mfb

2016 Award

What is Rth?
    That would be ##\frac{8\cdot2}{8}+2##, I guess you mean 8*2/(8+2). Where does that come from?
    Right.
    Only if you remove all power sources, but then the network becomes pointless.

5. Dec 16, 2014 #4

gneill

GBA13 is looking for the Thevenin resistance of the network as seen at the open terminals ( ##V_{th}## ).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted