Calculating Replacement Resistance Rv (Ohm)

In summary, the user is trying to calculate the replacement resistance Rv (Ohm) for a given circuit with multiple resistors. They have provided a diagram and attempted to solve the problem using the equation 1/Rv = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... However, they have made a mistake in combining the resistors and are looking for additional resources to practice similar problems for an upcoming physics test.
SD43

Homework Statement

I need to calculate the replacement resistance Rv (Ohm) of the following
R1 = 12 ohm
R2 = 8 ohm
R3 = 6 ohm
R4 = 4 ohm
R5 = 9 ohm
R6 = 12 ohm
R7 = 4 ohm

I've been trying to include a picture that I've drawn in paint but apparently a couple of lines exceeds the 100Kb line. So I'm afraid I'm going to have picture the drawing in your mind.
R1 and R2 are right next to each other so it's alright if you put them together so 12 + 8 makes 20 Ohm
Under R1 and R2 there's R3
Directly under R3 there's R4.
Next to R4 on the right side there's R5
Under R5 there's R6
Between R5 and R6 there's R7 which isn't parallel to them.
I'm sorry for the confusion, but there's just no other way.

My teacher said the answer should be 9,7 ohm with lots of variables behind the 7

Homework Equations

1/Rv = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + 1/R4 + 1/R5 +1/R6

The Attempt at a Solution

1/20 + 1/6 + 1/4 = 7/ 15
15/7 = 2,14

1/9 + 1/12 = 7/36
36/7 = 5,14
5,14 + 2,14 = 7,28
1/4 = 0,25
0,25 + 7,28 doesn't make 9,7

If you just use the equation 1/Rv = 1/R1 + 1/R2 ... you should get 41/45 which again doesn't make 9,77.

So after 2 days of being puzzled I decided the internet was a good place to find the right way to get to 9,7

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. We really do need to see a diagram in order to help you on this one. Once you've drawn it in Paint, save it as a PDF, and that will reduce the size enough to post. If you don't have an easy way to save-as a PDF, you can download PrimoPDF for free.

EDIT -- Oops, I think I meant save it as a JPG file. PDF might compress it too, but JPG is the traditional compressed picture file format.

Last edited:
Thank you, I never knew I could save images as JPG.

Anyway I attached the file and it's oddly enough only 9,7 Kb.

Attachments

• sdsdd.JPG
    sdsdd.JPG
    7 KB · Views: 368
Ah, that helps a lot.

You are correct in your combination of R1-R4, but then you try to combine R5 (9 Ohms) as if it were in parallel with R6, but R9 is in series with the running total resistance that you have for R1-R4, and you need to do that series addition before you have a clean parallel combination with R6. Just be careful about the combinations, and try again.

EDIT -- BTW, I also get 9.7777777... as the answer.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but I keep getting 9,8 as the answer without any variables behind it. So what I do is 12 + 8 = 20
1/20 + 1/6 + 1/4 + 9 = 9,46666667
9,46666667 + 1/12 + 1/4 = 9,8

Though it's close it's still completely false. What am I doing wrong?

SD43 said:
I'm sorry, but I keep getting 9,8 as the answer without any variables behind it. So what I do is 12 + 8 = 20
1/20 + 1/6 + 1/4 + 9 = 9,46666667
Watch out. The equivalent resistance of the three resistors in parallel will be

[itex] (\frac{1}{20} + \frac{1}{6} + \frac{1}{4})^{-1} [/itex]

You must take the inverse before going on to add it to the 9 ohms!
9,46666667 + 1/12 + 1/4 = 9,8
No. The result of combining R1, R2,R3 , R4 and R5 will be in parallel with R6. You must calculate that before adding the result to R7 (it seems as if you wanted to treat R7 as being in parallel. It's not)

I did what you said
1/20 + 1/4 + 1/6 ^ -1 = 2,14
2,14 + 9 = 11,14
1/11,14 + 1/12 ^ -1 = 5,77
5,77 + 4 = 9,77!

Wow thanks! So do any of you know sites where I can practice these sort of questions because I'm getting a final test for physics about this the law of Archimedes, pressure and significant numbers.

SD43 said:
Wow thanks! So do any of you know sites where I can practice these sort of questions because I'm getting a final test for physics about this the law of Archimedes, pressure and significant numbers.

This website is a little unfinished, but look under the DC circuits section for some more info on resistors, etc.

http://hypertextbook.com/physics/electricity/

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Replacement Resistance Rv and why is it important?

Replacement Resistance Rv is a measurement used in electrical engineering to calculate the equivalent resistance of a circuit. It is important because it helps us understand the overall resistance of a circuit and how it affects the flow of current.

2. How do you calculate Replacement Resistance Rv?

To calculate Replacement Resistance Rv, you need to first add up all the individual resistances in the circuit. Then, divide the voltage by the total resistance to get the current. Finally, divide the voltage by the current to get the Replacement Resistance Rv value.

3. What are the units of Replacement Resistance Rv?

The units of Replacement Resistance Rv are ohms (Ω), which is the standard unit of measurement for electrical resistance.

4. Can Replacement Resistance Rv ever be negative?

No, Replacement Resistance Rv can never be negative. Resistance is always a positive value, as it represents the hindrance of current flow in a circuit.

5. How can Replacement Resistance Rv be used in practical applications?

Replacement Resistance Rv is commonly used in circuit analysis and design, as well as troubleshooting electrical problems. It can also be used to calculate the power dissipation in a circuit and determine the appropriate resistor values needed for a specific application.