Calculating Size Ratios for Energy Levels in Hydrogen Atom

• Thread starter xiphoid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the question is asking about the ratio of energy spacing between the n=3 and n=8 energy levels and the n=8 and n=9 energy levels for a hydrogen atom. The equation En=Rh[1/ni2- 1/nf2] can be used to calculate this ratio, but there seems to be a discrepancy in the given answer of 14.82 times larger. There is also a mention of orbit radii, but it is unclear how they relate to the question. Further clarification is needed to determine the correct answer.
xiphoid

Homework Statement

How many times larger is the spacing between the energy levels with n=3 and n=8 spacing between the energy levels with n=8 and n=9 for hydrogen atom?

Homework Equations

En=Rh[1/ni2- 1/nf2]

The Attempt at a Solution

From the above stated equation, i managed to calculate the ratio of their energies, however, I can even calculate λ or frequency v, but what about the ratio of their size?

Physics news on Phys.org
When they say "larger spacing" they are talking about the energy spacing.

So, I need to calculate the ratio of the energies of the two given?
if yes then, I did this at first but the answer given, i.e. 14.82 times larger was not obtained
Simon Bridge said:
When they say "larger spacing" they are talking about the energy spacing.

I will try to upload my solution, and perhaps from there, you can help me out

You'd expect the 8-3 spacing to be bigger than the 8-9 spacing wouldn't you?

[tex]\Delta E_{8,3} = \frac{\frac{1}{9}-\frac{1}{64}}{\frac{1}{64}-\frac{1}{81}}\Delta E_{8,9}\approx 30\Delta E_{8,9}[/tex]... looks like a factor of two got lost someplace.

If the first jump was 4-8 instead of 3-8 then the ratio would be 14.27 ... still too different.

The only other option for "size" would be differences in Bohr orbit radii.
Which would be dumb. So I'd say that either the model answer is in error or there is some aspect of the question not communicated someplace.

In Bohr Atomic Model, orbits are also known as energy levels, if I recall correct. Still, their ratio is absurd for answer.

Last edited:
AGNuke: not quite correct. The Bohr energy levels can be related to orbit radii in the planetary model. They are not different names for the same thing and you'll find physicists can get quite shirty about it.

OP will need to look at the context to see which is meant.
Or just do the math:-)

The orbit concept makes little sense here... but that may be the point of the exercise.

1. How is size calculated from energy?

In order to calculate size from energy, you can use the equation E=mc², where E represents energy, m represents mass, and c represents the speed of light. This equation was derived by Albert Einstein in his theory of relativity.

2. Can you explain the concept of mass-energy equivalence?

The concept of mass-energy equivalence is the idea that mass and energy are interchangeable and can be converted into each other. This was first proposed by Albert Einstein in his famous equation E=mc², where E represents energy, m represents mass, and c represents the speed of light.

3. How does energy relate to the size of an object?

Energy is directly proportional to the size of an object. This means that as the energy of an object increases, its size also increases. This can be seen in the equation E=mc², where the energy (E) is directly proportional to the mass (m) of an object.

4. Is there a limit to the size an object can be based on its energy?

Yes, there is a limit to the size an object can be based on its energy. According to the theory of relativity, as an object's energy increases, its mass also increases. Eventually, the mass would become so great that it would collapse into a black hole, which has infinite density and no measurable size.

5. How is energy related to the size of particles?

In the world of quantum mechanics, particles can have both energy and mass. According to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, the more precisely we know the energy of a particle, the less precisely we know its size. This means that as the energy of a particle increases, its size becomes less well-defined.