Calculating size of electric motor needed

In summary, when calculating the power of a motor needed in a certain scenario, you need to consider the torque required to overcome the frictional force and the torque needed to start the disc in motion. The motor should have a torque that is slightly higher than the resisting torque in order to start the disc spinning. Inertia only needs to be considered if a specific speed needs to be reached within a certain time.
Kalus
I'm a little confused as how to calculate the power of motor you would need in a certain scenario.

Imagine you have an electric motor sitting upright (so spindle pointing towards the sky) with a metal disc attached to the spindle. Now imagine that you have some metal rod that is being pressed down on the disc exerting a frictional force at a distance from the center of r/2 (where r is radius).

I know the equation that power= torque*angular velocity... but I am unsure what to include as torque.

Obviously the frictional force(F_f) exerts a "stopping" torque of F_f * r/2 but would you also need to calculate the torque to get the disc spinning on its own, E.g Torque= I*angular acceleration?

If so, how do you calculate angular acceleration?

Also, if you came up with a resistive torque of X, then would the torque of the motor need to be X+1 or whatever to get the thing to actually spin up?

Many thanks, Kalus

Physics news on Phys.org
Few electric motors provide a constant torque, but let's say you have one of those and its useful torque is T. The difference T-F_f*r/2 is the net torque which is equal to the product I*gama, where I is the total moment of inertia and gama the angular acceleration.
Therefore, as long as you don't mind about acceleration time, you need a motor whose torque is barely higher than the resisting torque.

Ok, I am still a little confused about the torque needed to make the disc start though.

If consider having no normal force on the disc for a moment, what would the torque required be to start the disc in motion?
Would it be Torque= Moment of Inertia* Angular Acceleration?

Does that mean that then when you include normal force, that to get it moving, at the start it would be Torque to start motion > Torque to overcome inertia + Torque to overcome normal friction force?

Many Thanks, Andy

You don't need to consider inertia unless you need to reach a certain speed within a certain time. As long as the torque exceeds the friction, the motor will start to turn and build up speed gradually.

1. What factors go into calculating the size of an electric motor needed?

The size of an electric motor needed is determined by several factors, including the power requirements of the device it will be powering, the speed and torque needed, the operating conditions (such as temperature and altitude), and the type of motor being used (e.g. AC or DC).

2. How do I calculate the power requirements for an electric motor?

To calculate the power requirements for an electric motor, you will need to determine the amount of work the motor needs to do (such as lifting a weight or turning a machine), the speed at which it needs to do this work, and the efficiency of the motor. You can then use the formula Power = (Work x Speed)/Efficiency to calculate the required power.

3. Can I use a smaller motor than the calculated size?

In some cases, you may be able to use a smaller motor than the calculated size, but this will depend on the specific requirements of your application. It is important to properly calculate the size of the motor to ensure it can handle the workload and operate efficiently.

4. How do I determine the speed and torque needed for an electric motor?

The speed and torque needed for an electric motor will depend on the specific application. You will need to consider factors such as the load the motor will be working against, the speed at which the device needs to operate, and any acceleration or deceleration requirements. Consulting with a motor expert or using online calculators can help determine the appropriate speed and torque for your motor.

5. Can I use the same motor for multiple applications?

In some cases, a single motor may be able to power multiple applications. However, this will depend on the specific requirements and compatibility of the applications. It is important to carefully consider all factors and consult with a motor expert before using one motor for multiple applications.