Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating solar mass using luminosity

1. May 12, 2005 #1
    Okie dokie, I searched the web and found L=M ^ 3.5 (luminosity equals mass to the power of 3.5). But, I'm pretty clueless on anything beyond Algebra I. How do I solve for M if I know L? [If the answer can be expressed in Visual Basic syntax, all the better.]

I also read several caveats that said the above formula works best for main sequence stars. Does anyone know of better of formula for sub-dwarfs, dwarfs, giants, and super giants? I'm pulling my numbers from a sub-set of the Hipparcos data. So, from absolute magnitude, I can calculate luminosity, but I get stuck after that.

My goal is to calculate solar mass and plug that into Accrete so I can create a fictional but semi-realistic star atlas for hard sci-fi games.

Along a similar line, I've seen some sites that says Accrete is fairly dated as far as solar system modelling goes. Has anyone written a successor to Accrete that is available to the public?
    --
    TAZ

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2005 #2

ohwilleke

Gold Member

A scientific calculator should be able to find the 3.5th root of luminosity without difficulty. I would imagine that the formula would be something along the line of L^-3.5=M, but I'm not a Visual Basic user. I also suspect that you could simply find a direct list of stellar masses in any number of references.

4. May 12, 2005 #3

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Use a logarithm table. Powers and roots are simple when working with log values.

5. May 12, 2005 #4

ohwilleke

Gold Member

Good point Chronos. So you would start with X=Log(L)/3.5
    Then M=INV LOG(X).

6. May 12, 2005 #5
    Thanks for the prompt replies, guys. I'll give them a try. The list of stellar masses has merit, but I need to populate 59,000 solar systems and most lists only have a handful of stars. But, I can use them to check my math now that I have something to work with.
    --
    TAZ

7. May 12, 2005 #6

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

M=L^(1/3.5)

But what units are you using for M and L?

8. May 13, 2005 #7
    Mass of Sol = 1 and Luminosity of Sol = 1. So a star with an Absolute Magnitude of zero whould be 100 times brighter than Sol.
    --
    TAZ

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?