1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating spring constant

1. Mar 30, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A mass 1 kg mass is hung from a spring.
    Calculate the spring constant from the given data. Velocity initial= 3.0 m/s Velocity final= 1.5 m/s. The initial height traveled is 0.1 meters and the final is 0.25 meters. These height values will be negative since i picked my starting point at the origin so they have moved below the X making them negative.

2. Relevant equations
    I know i am supposed to use the conservation of energy equation with the potential elastic factored into the total PE. the equation would be (1/2*m*v^2)+(mgh)+1/2*k*x^2)=(1/2*m*v^2)+(mgh)+1/2*k*x^2) where the left is the initial and the right is the final. However i keep getting the wrong answer. I think I am doing a simple algebraic error in my calculations. any guidance is appreciated

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2010 #2

jack action

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you have to determine the initial displacement of the spring under the static load:

Xo = mg / K

Then final displacement is:

Xf = mg / K - [tex]\Delta[/tex]X

Where [tex]\Delta[/tex]X = 0.25m - 0.1m = 0.15m

Put that in your equation and do the transformations and it should give you the correct answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook