Calculating Spring Rates for Rear Wheel Drive Sports Car

In summary, a rear wheel drive sports car with a total mass of 850kg and weight distribution of 45% in the front has a maximum front ride frequency of 3.2 Hz and a rear ride frequency that must be at least 10% less than the front. Each front corner has an unsprung mass of 22kg and each rear corner has an unsprung mass of 25kg. The front motion ratio is 1:7:1 and the rear motion ratio is 1:8:1. The tyre stiffness for the front is 200N/mm and for the rear is 230N/mm. To target a front ride frequency of 2.1 Hz, a suitable spring rate must be selected from
Hiceadha

Homework Statement

A rear wheel Drive Sports car has the following specifications
The design conditions are that the maximum front ride frequency must be 3.2 Hz and that the rear ride frequency must be at least 10% less than the front.
Total Mass 850kg
Weight Distribution 45%Front
Unsprung Mass each front corner 22kg
Unsprung Mass each rear corner 25kg
Front Motion Ratio 1:7:1
Rear Motion Ratio 1:8:1
Tyre Stiffness Front 200N/mm
Tyre Stiffness Rear 230N/mm

a) Select a suitable spring rate from the information booklet to target a front ride frequency of 2.1 Hz
b) Select a suitable spring rate from the information booklet to ensure that the rear ride frequency is at least 10% less than the front
c)Calculate the front roll stiffness as a percentage of the total

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I need to be able to complete this question for an upcoming exam and to be honest I'm completely stumped.
The information booklet for spring rates is unavailable however some pointers in the right direction is all I need telling me what information I need from the booklet.

In relation to working out the ride frequency
Fn=1/2∏*√k/m
where k=overall suspension stiffness for relevant corner of car
m=sprung mass of car

to work out k
kspring=kwheel*MR2
k spring = spring stiffness (from booklet maybe ?)
k wheel = 200 N/m (front)
MR2 = 72 (front) or should it be 1/7 ?
then use this answer as k in Fn=1/2∏*√k/m and try get as close to 2.1 as possible?

(Just looking to figure out question a first)

Physics news on Phys.org
c)Calculate the front roll stiffness as a percentage of the totalI'm not even sure how to do this ?Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. How do I calculate the spring rate for my rear wheel drive sports car?

To calculate the spring rate for a rear wheel drive sports car, you will need to know the weight of your car, the distance between the pivot points of the suspension, and the desired ride height. With this information, you can use the following formula: spring rate = (weight of car x distance between pivot points) ÷ (desired ride height x 2).

2. What is the purpose of calculating spring rates for a rear wheel drive sports car?

Calculating spring rates helps to determine the stiffness of the springs in your car's suspension system. This is important because it affects the handling, stability, and overall performance of your sports car.

3. How does the weight of my car affect the spring rate?

The weight of your car plays a significant role in determining the appropriate spring rate. Heavier cars require stiffer springs to support the weight, while lighter cars need softer springs. This is because the spring needs to be able to support the weight of the car while still providing enough flexibility for a smooth ride.

4. Can I change the spring rate in my rear wheel drive sports car?

Yes, you can change the spring rate in your rear wheel drive sports car. However, it is important to consult with a professional or do thorough research before making any changes. Changing the spring rate can greatly affect the handling and performance of your car, so it is important to make sure it is done correctly.

5. Are there any other factors I should consider when calculating spring rates for my rear wheel drive sports car?

Yes, there are other factors to consider when calculating spring rates, such as the type of driving you will be doing (daily driving, track racing, etc.), the type of roads you will be driving on, and the type of tires you will be using. These factors can also affect the handling and performance of your car, so it is important to take them into account when determining the appropriate spring rate.