Calculating square feet of a tent/triangle

• Thread starter EvilMenace[2]Society
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Square
In summary, to make a 2 person tent with a height of 4 ft at the center, the sides meeting at a 60 degree angle, and a length of 6 ft, you will need 101.6 square feet of material. This can be calculated by dividing the tent into two triangles and two rectangles, with the hypotenuse of one of the triangles being the side of the rectangle. Using this method, the material needed for the tent measures to be around 101.6 square feet.
EvilMenace[2]Society
The question is this:

A 2 person tent is to be made so that the height at the center is 4 ft. if the sides of the tent meet at the ground at an angle of 60(degrees), and the tent is to be 6 feet in length, how many square feet of material will be needed to make the tent?

My answer:
Since it's a 60 degree angle, then it's a 30-60-90 triangle in which the smallest side is t, the side opposite of the largest side is 2t and the h is t x sq root of 3.

So t ends up being 4 x sq root 3 divided by 3

which means the width is 4.619 ft ( 4x1.732)/3 = 2.309 ft ~4.618 (since 2.309 is only half the length)

and 2t= 8(1.732)/3 = 4.619 ft

Now i just need help figuring out the sq feet. The answer in the book says 101.6 ft squard.

Any help is appriciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks ok. If you find the other side, pythagorean, then you can use that for the other sides of the tent. For the material, think of breaking the tent into pieces. You will have 2 triangles, the ones on the front and back, you will have 2 sides (the left and right), and one bottom (thinking in 3d). Now compute up the areas, keeping in mind that the tent is supposed to be 6ft long, and you will get 101.6ft^2

If you know the long side (4'), and you know the short side (2'), what is the hypotenuse?

The hypotensue then forms the side of one of two rectangles that are the tent sides, which is your area.

But I don't figure anywhere near 100 sq. ft. Barely half of that.

1. How do I calculate the square footage of a rectangular tent?

To calculate the square footage of a rectangular tent, simply multiply the length by the width. This will give you the total area in square feet. For example, if a rectangular tent has a length of 10 feet and a width of 8 feet, the total square footage would be 80 square feet.

2. What is the formula for calculating the square footage of a triangular tent?

The formula for calculating the square footage of a triangle is (base x height) / 2. Therefore, to calculate the square footage of a triangular tent, you would first need to measure the base and height, then plug those values into the formula.

3. Can I use the same formula to calculate the square footage of any shape tent?

No, the formula for calculating square footage will vary depending on the shape of the tent. Rectangular tents use length x width, triangular tents use (base x height) / 2, and other shapes may require different formulas. It is important to research the specific formula for the shape of your tent.

4. What units should I use when measuring the dimensions of my tent?

It is best to use the same units for both length and width when measuring your tent. For example, if you measure the length in feet, then also measure the width in feet. This will ensure that your final calculation is in square feet.

5. Why is it important to calculate the square footage of a tent?

Calculating the square footage of a tent is important for several reasons. It can help you determine the appropriate size of tent you need for your specific needs. It can also help you estimate the cost of materials for building or repairing a tent. Additionally, if you plan on camping in a designated campsite, knowing the square footage of your tent can help you determine if it will fit in the designated space.