Calculating Static Pressure at Various Points in a Tank

In summary, the question is asking for the static pressure (pt-139) at the top of the tank, which should be answered in psi. The attempted solution involved using the total height of the tank (18 feet or 216 inches) and multiplying it by the specific gravity (SG) of 1.44. However, there are two different SG values, one for the tank and one for the line that attaches the tank. The writer is unsure which one to use and provides a link to the webpage they are using. They also have a follow-up question about finding the pressure at the bottom tap of the tank, which they attempted to solve using the same formula but with a different height (3 feet or 36 inches).
sandman441

Homework Statement

what is the static pressure (pt-139) at the top of the tank answer in psi

Homework Equations

P=H" * S.G. (I think)

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the total height of the tank it's 18 feet (216 inches) and multiplyed it by 1.44 and I got 406.08 psi

I'm not sure which specific gravity to use, there are 2, one in the tank and another one I guess it would be in the line that attaches the tank, I'll attack the page I'm using cause it's kind of confusing without it.

I think I did it right I'm not 100% sure though, I have another question it's the same as this question but they are asking for the pressure at the bottom tap of the tank, And I used the same formula but I only used 3 feet (36 inches) as the number so it was like

36*1.88=67.68

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 380
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is static pressure?

Static pressure is the force exerted by a fluid on a surface due to its weight or motion. It is the pressure that is exerted on an object when the fluid it is in contact with is not moving.

2. How is static pressure calculated?

Static pressure can be calculated using the equation P = ρgh, where P is the static pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the fluid column.

3. What units are used to measure static pressure?

Static pressure is typically measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa).

4. What factors affect static pressure?

The density of the fluid, the acceleration due to gravity, and the height of the fluid column are the main factors that affect static pressure. Additionally, the shape and surface area of the object the fluid is in contact with can also impact the static pressure.

5. Why is calculating static pressure important?

Calculating static pressure is important in various scientific and engineering applications, such as in fluid dynamics, aerodynamics, and hydraulics. It helps us understand the behavior of fluids and how they interact with their surroundings, which is crucial in designing and optimizing various systems and structures.