Calculating stress and deflection in steel plate

In summary, the conversation was about calculating stress and deflection in a rectangle steel plate using two different methods. The expert suggests that the results may differ due to various factors and explains the differences between the bending equation and the moment-curvature equation. They also offer advice on how to confirm the correct use of these methods.
Jason
Hiya,

I'm been calculating stress and deflection in rectangle steel plate, I've been using two methods to see if I get the same results but i get different results. I want to confirm the methods I'm using and if I'm using them correctly. I have attached photos of my calculations, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC00559.JPG
    DSC00559.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 893
  • DSC00563.JPG
    DSC00563.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 787
Engineering news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your calculations and seeking advice. I can offer some insights on the methods you are using and help you confirm if you are using them correctly.

Firstly, it's important to note that stress and deflection calculations for a rectangle steel plate depend on several factors such as the material properties, loading conditions, and boundary conditions. It would be helpful to know these details in order to better understand your calculations.

However, based on the information provided, it seems like you are using two different methods to calculate stress and deflection - one using the bending equation and the other using the moment-curvature equation. Both these methods are commonly used in structural engineering and can yield different results depending on the assumptions and simplifications made.

The bending equation, also known as the flexure formula, is based on the assumption that the plate is subjected to pure bending and has a constant cross-section. This method is suitable for plates with a relatively small thickness compared to the other dimensions.

On the other hand, the moment-curvature equation takes into account the variation of bending moment and curvature along the length of the plate. This method is more accurate for plates with a larger thickness and can account for the effect of shear deformation.

In order to confirm if you are using these methods correctly, I would recommend checking your input parameters such as the applied load, dimensions of the plate, and material properties. It would also be helpful to cross-check your calculations with a reliable reference or software to ensure accuracy.

I hope this helps in clarifying the methods you are using and their differences. If you have any further questions, please feel free to reach out. Best of luck with your calculations!

1. How do you calculate stress and deflection in steel plate?

To calculate stress and deflection in steel plate, you need to know the material properties of the steel, such as its Young's modulus and yield strength, as well as the dimensions and loading conditions of the plate. You can then use equations such as the Euler-Bernoulli beam equation or the plate bending equation to determine the stress and deflection at various points on the plate.

2. What is the difference between stress and deflection in steel plate?

Stress is a measure of the internal forces within a material, while deflection is a measure of the displacement of a material under a load. In the context of steel plate, stress refers to the amount of force per unit area that the plate is experiencing, while deflection refers to the amount of bending or deformation that the plate undergoes due to the applied load.

3. How does the thickness of a steel plate affect stress and deflection?

The thickness of a steel plate has a direct impact on both stress and deflection. Thicker plates are able to withstand higher levels of stress and have lower levels of deflection compared to thinner plates. This is because thicker plates have a larger cross-sectional area, providing more material to resist the applied load.

4. What types of loads can cause stress and deflection in steel plate?

Any type of external force or pressure applied to a steel plate can cause stress and deflection. This can include static loads, such as the weight of a structure or equipment, as well as dynamic loads, such as wind or vibrations. The direction and magnitude of the load will also affect the stress and deflection experienced by the plate.

5. How can stress and deflection in steel plate be minimized?

There are several ways to minimize stress and deflection in steel plate, including using thicker plates, increasing the stiffness of the plate through design or material selection, and using additional support structures such as beams or columns. It is important to properly analyze and design the plate for its intended use to ensure that it can withstand the expected loads with minimal stress and deflection.