1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating tension in cable

1. Oct 9, 2006 #1
    1.the mass and acceleration is given and asks for tension in cable. What is a formula i could use.

2.in another question initial speed, air resistance, time and speed is given, what is a formula i could use for this question to solve for mass.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2006 #2

radou

Homework Helper

1. Look up Newton's laws of motion.

2. It would be great to present the whole problem.

4. Oct 9, 2006 #3
    1. An elevator of mass of 900 kg accelerates upwads at 3 m/s^2. What is the tension in the cable where it is attatched to the elevator?

2. A parachutist jumps out of an airplane at an initial speed of 2m/s down. There is a force of air resistance equivalent to 305 N. Determine the mass of the parachutist if it takes 3 seconds to travel 30 m down.

So his speed is 10 m/s. And i dnt know anything else:frown:

5. Oct 9, 2006 #4

radou

Homework Helper

As mentioned above, look up Newton's second law of motion. Part 1 is very simple. Part 2 includes a kinematical equation, i.e. the equation of displacement, from which you will obtain the acceleration.

6. Oct 9, 2006 #5
    ok, thank you , appreciate it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?