Calculating Tension - Homework Statement & Solution

• Thread starter FOX2PRO
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the acceleration, tension in T1 and T2 for a given situation. The acceleration is found by dividing the difference in Fg between the two sides by the mass. The net force is then calculated and used to determine the tension, which is affected by gravity. A free body diagram is suggested to better understand the situation and it is determined that the force of gravity and the net force are at opposite ends. Finally, the conversation concludes with discussing the force pulling up on the 4kg block and using the acceleration to solve for T1.
FOX2PRO

Homework Statement

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/1212/47236686fi5.png

I have to find the acceleration (magnitude and direction)
Tension in T1, and T2

Homework Equations

a = F/m P = F/A Fg = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, i figured out the acceleration, by finding the difference in Fg between the two sides, and dividing that by the mass. I get .75m/s^2. Using that, I can get that the net force is 7kgx.75m/s^2 = 5.25N

I don't know how to get from there to the tension, mostly b/c the forces are changed by gravity, and tension is affected by gravity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi FOX2PRO,

FOX2PRO said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, i figured out the acceleration, by finding the difference in Fg between the two sides, and dividing that by the mass. I get .75m/s^2. Using that, I can get that the net force is 7kgx.75m/s^2 = 5.25N

I don't know how to get from there to the tension, mostly b/c the forces are changed by gravity, and tension is affected by gravity.

Draw a free body diagram for the 4kg mass. What does that give?

Well, there's the force of gravity 4kg(9.8), and the net force, 5.25N
So, they are at opposite ends, so the tension would be 36.2N?

FOX2PRO said:
Well, there's the force of gravity 4kg(9.8), and the net force, 5.25N
So, they are at opposite ends, so the tension would be 36.2N?

Gravity is pulling down on the 4kg block, but what force is pulling up on the 4kg block?

Then, since you know the acceleration of the 4kg block you can solve for T1.

1. What is tension?

Tension is a force that is transmitted through a string, rope, cable, or similar object when it is pulled tight by forces acting from opposite ends. It is a measure of the internal forces acting within an object and is typically measured in units of newtons (N) or pounds (lb).

2. How is tension calculated?

To calculate tension, you will need to know the mass of the object, the acceleration of gravity, and the angle at which the object is hanging. Tension can then be calculated using the formula T = mgcosθ, where T is tension, m is the mass, g is the acceleration of gravity, and θ is the angle.

3. What is the difference between tension and weight?

Tension and weight are two different types of forces. Tension is a force that is transmitted through an object, while weight is a force that is exerted on an object by gravity. Tension is typically measured in units of force, such as newtons or pounds, while weight is measured in units of mass, such as kilograms or pounds.

4. Can tension ever be negative?

No, tension is always a positive force. It represents the magnitude of the force being applied to an object, so it cannot be negative. However, tension can be zero if there is no force being applied or if the object is in equilibrium.

5. How is tension used in real-life situations?

Tension is used in many real-life situations, such as in bridges, cranes, elevators, and even in the human body. It is an important factor in determining the stability and strength of structures and can help engineers design safe and efficient structures. In the human body, tension is used to support and move our muscles and joints.