Calculate Tension: Find T in A & B Cords

• Thread starter Jim4592
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary: For example, in this conversation, one person is having difficulty understanding how a website works. In summary, this person is having difficulty understanding how to solve a homework problem.
Jim4592

Homework Statement

All i was given on the problem was find the tension in each cord in the figure below.

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/6417/physicsproblemua3.th.jpg

Homework Equations

Calculate the tension in each cord below.

The Attempt at a Solution

T(C) = W

I know you have to use trigonometry to find the tension in A & B, but without any numbers being given i can't figure anything out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
sorry about the image, but it was the only way i could include the diagram. You are able to click it to make it bigger

You have enough to solve it in terms of W.

Evaluate the vector components in the x,y direction.

They yield 2 equations in T1 and T2. (In terms of W that is.)

Tc = w

By = Sin(45)*B

Ay = Sin(30)*A

Is that all you would have to do to solve the problem?

That would be a no.

Since the system is static the sum of the y components of the tensions = W
And since it is balanced left to right then the x components add to 0.

so if By+Ay+C = W

and

Ax-Bx = 0

then

A would be equal to: (w-c-sin(45)B) / sin(30)

and B is: (w-c-sin(30)A) / sin(45)

I know there has to be one more part to the solution because even though if you know w, you know c, you still would have one additional variable that's unknown.

I don't understand how this website works! =/

There is no C.

C is W.

Yielding equations such that

1/2*T1 + (√2/2)*T2 = W

And

(√3/2)*T1 = (√2/2)*T2

drumjunkie said:
I don't understand how this website works! =/

If you have questions about homework problems that you need help with, if you post them and explain what you might be having difficulty understanding someone may help you.

On other areas of the site there are discussions of various topics of interest.

1. How do I calculate tension in A and B cords?

To calculate tension in A and B cords, you will need to know the mass of the object being supported by the cords, the angle of the cords, and the force acting on the object. Then, you can use the formula T = (m*g)/cosθ, where T is the tension, m is the mass, g is the force of gravity, and θ is the angle of the cords.

2. What units should I use for calculating tension?

The units used for calculating tension will depend on the units used for mass, force, and angle. However, it is important to make sure that all units are consistent. For example, if mass is measured in kilograms, force should be measured in Newtons, and angle should be measured in degrees or radians.

3. Can I calculate tension using only one cord?

No, in order to accurately calculate tension, you will need to use both A and B cords. This is because tension is affected by the angle of the cords and the weight of the object. Using only one cord will not provide enough information to calculate the tension.

4. What if I don't know the angle of the cords?

In order to calculate tension, the angle of the cords is a crucial piece of information. If you do not know the exact angle, you can estimate it by measuring the angle with a protractor or by using a reference angle from a diagram or drawing.

5. How do I apply the calculated tension to real-life situations?

The calculated tension can be used to determine the safety and stability of objects that are suspended or supported by cords. It can also help engineers and designers determine the strength and durability of materials used for cords in various applications. Additionally, understanding tension can also be useful in sports and fitness for training and injury prevention.