Calculating Tension: 0.4m/s2, 6kg, 9kg

• Thread starter physics_newb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary: Well then the third rope would have to have a tension that is greater than the other 2 ropes combined. This can be easily calculated by using the equation F_t=ma.
physics_newb

Homework Statement

If the balloon in the diagram drawn below is accelerating upwards at 0.40 m/s2, calculate the tension in each piece of rope. Assume that the rope has no mass.
http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/964/capture2gm.png
http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/964/capture2gm.png

Homework Equations

a=0.4m/s^2
m1=6kg
m2=9kg

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure how to calculate tension or what tension is

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
anyone out there who can help me?

You haven't put much effort into this (so it seems).

Hint: each block accelerates equally.

Last edited:
actually I've been trying this for almost 45 minutes now and the thing is i don't know what tension is...is tension Fg? where Fg=m*a and it would me 15*.4?

tension is the force of the rope at some point

Fg is not equal to m*a, Fg=mg, where g is the acceleration due to gravity, or 9.8m/s^2.
Fnet=ma

Also, tension is not Fg, it's a separate force.

Ok guys this is how far I got from what I understood...can somone tell me if this is right and how to get to the next step please? Thanks in advance...this sites been a real life saver!

Rope 1
a=0.40m/s^2
m=15kg
g=9.8m/s^2
F_t=?
F_g=?
Step1
F_g=mg
F_g=15*9.8
F_g=147m/s^2
Step2
F_t=

Hope no one fell asleep! its 130am here hoping to solve this quickly...anyone still up or do i wake up early and check?

no one knows how to do this one? I've even woke up now :(

It is fairly hard to assist someone who doesn't understand the question they are asking. You need to figure out what tension is and how it is measured. You have to also see the relationships at hand between tension,gravity, and the effect the balloon has on the system.

A good starting place is to start with free body diagrams for each body in the system. Next sum your forces (only forces in the Y).

Last edited:
So the above is wrong? LOL I know I do not udnerstand the question which is why I'm asking it! I would draw a FBD but not sure which way tension would be going...Fg would be down...and then Fapp would be up, where does Ft come in all this? I've also googled this and it seems that
ma=m(g+a)
but I'm not sure that is the formula we use as we have never been given that one as of yet

m=94.0kg
a=9.8m/s^2
CD=54kg/m
v=?
F_fric=?
Step 1
F_fric=ma
F_fric=94.0*9.8
F_fric=921.2m/s
Step 2:
921.2=54*v^2
921.2/54=v^2
17.1=v^2
√17.1=v
4.1=v
v=4.1m/s

sorry for not responding in time, I haven't been around the computer
tension is indeed ma=m(g+a). think about this.. you have a block that is being pulled down by the force of gravity.. yet it is going up? how is this so? it's because there is another force causing it to go up, and this force is apparently stronger than the force of gravity pulling the block down, since the whole system is going up. so how much greater is this force? well, we know that at the end of the day, the blocks are accelerating at 0.40 m/s2. so ma=m(g+a) (both forces act together to produce the net force, your other force would be the tension)

thanks holezch, but luckily for me I was able to find a formula on my own in time and the teacher told me that it was right...although i did it this way and am getting the same answer...thanks!

how do i calculate tension on a catapult

I just have a quick question if anyone can help...
I don't know how to calculate tension when I'm only given the tension of another thing and it's length... for example 2 ropes pulling on a ring, I'm given the tension and length of the 2 ropes and I am to find the third ropes tension pulling in the opposite direction... the only angles given are 90 degree angles.. please if anyone cane help.

Tyler171 said:
I just have a quick question if anyone can help...
I don't know how to calculate tension when I'm only given the tension of another thing and it's length... for example 2 ropes pulling on a ring, I'm given the tension and length of the 2 ropes and I am to find the third ropes tension pulling in the opposite direction... the only angles given are 90 degree angles.. please if anyone cane help.

The purpose of the third rope is to most likely stop the ring from accelerating correct?

What is tension and how is it calculated?

Tension is a force that is exerted on an object by a string, cable, or other material. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by its acceleration.

What units are used to measure tension?

The units used to measure tension are Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs).

How do you calculate tension when given a mass and acceleration?

To calculate tension, you can use the formula T = m * a, where T is tension, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

What is the tension in the scenario of 0.4m/s2, 6kg, 9kg?

The tension in this scenario can be calculated by plugging in the given values into the formula T = m * a. Therefore, the tension for the 6kg object would be 2.4 N (Newtons) and the tension for the 9kg object would be 3.6 N (Newtons).

How does tension affect an object?

Tension can cause an object to stretch or compress, depending on the direction of the force. It can also cause an object to accelerate or decelerate, depending on the magnitude of the tension force compared to other forces acting on the object.