Calculating the absorption coefficient from little information

In summary, the conversation discusses a program being created to calculate the change in observed intensity within the atmosphere using a forward model based on radiative transfer. The problem arises from the need for an absorption coefficient and variables for line shape and collisional broadening. The poster seeks guidance on deriving these values and determining the appropriate half-width to use. They are advised to consult literature and experts in the field for assistance.
joeholden_3
Hello,

I am currently creating a program that calculates the change in observed intensity (nadir) from initial intensity within the atmosphere.

As I am studying particular compounds, a first suggestion for my work is to produce a 'forward model' based on very simplistic radiative transfer.

My problem arises from the fact that to calculate the transmission coefficient for each layer of the atmosphere (taking the atmosphere to be a series of plane parallel layers), I need to know the absorption coefficient. However, through consultation of various texts, I seem to be stuck in a somewhat cyclis process of working out the absorption coefficient and the variables for the line shape.

I am only considering collisional (pressure) broadening as my work will initially be below ~20km. The only variables I do have figures for is the line intensity for a CO line and the self-broadened and air broadened half-widths.

If anyone could help explain what needs to be derived and typical values for things such as the frequency of an ideal monocromatic wave/ whether I use the air-broadened half width or self-broadened etc I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
for your post and for sharing your work with us. It sounds like you are tackling a complex problem and I commend your dedication to finding a solution. From my understanding, your program aims to calculate the change in observed intensity within the atmosphere by using a forward model based on radiative transfer.

To calculate the transmission coefficient, you will need to know the absorption coefficient for each layer of the atmosphere. This can be a challenging task, especially when considering the variables for line shape and collisional broadening. I would suggest consulting with other scientists in your field and discussing your approach with them. They may be able to offer insights or suggest alternative methods that could help you in your calculations.

Regarding the values for things like the frequency of an ideal monochromatic wave, this will depend on the specific compound you are studying and the type of experiment you are conducting. It would be best to consult literature and previous studies on similar compounds to get an idea of typical values for these variables.

In terms of using air-broadened or self-broadened half-widths, this will also depend on the specific compound and the conditions of your experiment. It would be helpful to consult with experts in your field or conduct sensitivity analyses to determine which half-width is most appropriate for your calculations.

Overall, I would recommend collaborating with other scientists and conducting thorough research to ensure the accuracy and validity of your program. Best of luck with your project!

1. What is the absorption coefficient?

The absorption coefficient is a measure of how much a material absorbs light or other electromagnetic radiation. It is typically represented by the symbol alpha (α) and is often expressed in units of inverse meters (m^-1).

2. How is the absorption coefficient calculated?

The absorption coefficient can be calculated by dividing the logarithm of the initial intensity of a light source by the logarithm of the intensity of the light after it has passed through a material. This calculation can be done using the Beer-Lambert Law: α = -ln(I/I0)/d, where I0 is the initial intensity, I is the intensity after passing through the material, and d is the thickness of the material.

3. Can the absorption coefficient be measured experimentally?

Yes, the absorption coefficient can be measured experimentally using a spectrophotometer. This device measures the amount of light absorbed by a material at different wavelengths, allowing for the calculation of the absorption coefficient at each wavelength.

4. What factors can affect the absorption coefficient?

The absorption coefficient can be affected by various factors such as the material's composition, density, thickness, and temperature. Additionally, the wavelength of the light source and the presence of impurities in the material can also impact the absorption coefficient.

5. Why is calculating the absorption coefficient important?

The absorption coefficient is an important parameter in materials science and engineering as it helps to understand the optical properties of different materials. It is also used in various applications such as designing solar cells, optical filters, and photodetectors. In addition, the absorption coefficient can provide information about the electronic and molecular structure of a material.