Calculating the acceleration and kinetic energy of a bucket in a pulley system

In summary, a wooden well pulley with a 5 kg cylinder and a 7 kg bucket hanging on a rope coiled around the cylinder will experience an acceleration of 5.8 m/s² if the handle breaks and the pulley has no friction. The kinetic energy of the bucket after falling 1 m will be 49 J. The calculations for both parts have taken into consideration the torque acting on the cylinder due to the tension in the rope.
mmoadi

Homework Statement

A well pulley is constructed from wooden cylinder with a mass of 5 kg and a radius of 10 cm and a light handle. The bucket filled with water is hanging on the rope coiled to the cylinder has a mass of 7 kg.
- With how much acceleration does the bucket move if the handle breaks; the pulley is spinning with no friction?
- How much is the kinetic energy of the bucket after it falls for 1 m?

Homework Equations

F=ma
KE= mv²/2
PE= mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

First part: With how much acceleration does the bucket move if the handle breaks; the pulley is spinning with no friction?

m(1)= 5 kg, m(2)= 7 kg, g= 10 m/s²

(m(1) + m(2))*a= m(2)g
a= m(2)g / (m(1) + m(2)
a= 5.8 m/s²

ARE MY CALCULATIONS CORRECT?

Second part: How much is the kinetic energy of the bucket after it falls for 1 m?

KE= PE
mv²/2= mgh
v= sqrt(2gh)
v= 4.47 m/s

KE= mv²/2= 69.9 J

Are my calculations correct?

Thank you helping!

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation for acceleration is wrong. Check it.

Do I have to take into the consideration inertia and the torque of the pulley (I know the radius and the mass of the pulley) and develop it from there?:confused:

What about the second part? Is it correct?

Thank you for helping!

Last edited:
There is torque acting on the cylinder because of the tension in the rope.

Please, can you give a hint how to apply the torque into the calculations? I'm really confused!?

I tried it like this:

For the bucket:
m(1)a= m(1)g - T

For the pulley:
Iα= Tr

I= 1/2m(2)r² and α= a/r

1/2m(2)r²*a/r = Tr → 1/2m(2)r= T

For the system:
1/2m(2)a + m(1)a = m(1)g -T + T
a= m(1)g / (m(1) + 1/2m(2))
a= 7 m/s²

I really need help with solving this problem. Thank you for helping!

Yes.

Now for the second part you just replace g with your new a.

:biggrin: Thank you very much!:biggrin:

So the correct answer is: 49 J

1. How do you calculate the acceleration of a bucket in a pulley system?

The acceleration of a bucket in a pulley system can be calculated using the equation a = (m2 - m1)g / (m1 + m2), where m1 is the mass of the heavier object, m2 is the mass of the lighter object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

2. What is the formula for calculating the kinetic energy of a bucket in a pulley system?

The formula for calculating the kinetic energy of a bucket in a pulley system is KE = 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the bucket and v is its velocity.

3. How does the angle of the pulley affect the acceleration and kinetic energy of the bucket?

The angle of the pulley does not affect the acceleration of the bucket in a pulley system, but it does affect the kinetic energy. The higher the angle of the pulley, the greater the potential energy and thus the greater the kinetic energy of the bucket.

4. Can you calculate the acceleration and kinetic energy of a bucket in a pulley system without knowing the masses of the objects?

No, the masses of the objects are necessary for calculating the acceleration and kinetic energy of the bucket in a pulley system. However, if the masses are unknown, they can be determined by measuring the acceleration and kinetic energy and rearranging the equations.

5. How does friction affect the acceleration and kinetic energy of the bucket in a pulley system?

Friction can decrease the acceleration and kinetic energy of the bucket in a pulley system as it works against the motion of the bucket. The amount of friction will depend on the materials of the pulley and the surface it is attached to, and it can be reduced by using lubricants or smoother surfaces.