Calculating Electricity from Rainfall: A Project Guide

In summary: I had a storm that dumped 4 inches of rain in a day, how much electricity would I generate?Assuming the system is properly installed and operational, you would expect to generate about 4 kWh of electricity from each liter of rainfall.
terry1993
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
Summary: I want to find out how much electric can be calculated from a certain amount of rainfall

I am doing a project. I have estimated how much water I expect per month but I am not sure how to calculate the amount of electricity I expect to generate from this rain fall can someone give me some advice

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome!
We will need you to give us additional information about your project.
How do you plan on retaining that water and convert it into electricity?

Likes russ_watters
Do you know formula for the potential energy of mass in the gravitational field? That should be your starting point.

(And it is basic physics, not much to do with EE, which will come into account later).

Likes Bystander, berkeman and russ_watters
Lnewqban said:
Welcome!
We will need you to give us additional information about your project.
How do you plan on retaining that water and convert it into electricity?
well my project is on harvesting energy for a grey water energy system. so I'm trying to show that its possible to store the electricity generated from this water. I need to go into the lab and set up a test rig to show this but I am not really sure what to do on this section

Borek said:
Do you know formula for the potential energy of mass in the gravitational field? That should be your starting point.

(And it is basic physics, not much to do with EE, which will come into account later).
thank you ill take a look at this

terry1993 said:
energy for a grey water energy system.
As in storm drains/sewers?

Bystander said:
As in storm drains/sewers?
so like for a house or a set of apartments. estimating how much water could be used in these scenarios. from things like showers, washing hands, etc. seeing how much electricity could be generated

terry1993 said:
Summary: I want to find out how much electric can be calculated from a certain amount of rainfall

I am doing a project. I have estimated how much water I expect per month but I am not sure how to calculate the amount of electricity I expect to generate from this rain fall can someone give me some advice

terry1993 said:
so like for a house or a set of apartments.
Rainfall? Or, Greywater? There are orders of magnitude different volumes you are handling.

terry1993 said:

Maybe, the following might be of help: “Rainfall as an Energy Source” by Curt Harting, November 28, 2010, Submitted as coursework for Physics 240, Stanford University, Fall 2010

Rainfall as an Energy Source - Stanford

Likes russ_watters, Lnewqban and berkeman
Lord Jestocost said:
Maybe, the following might be of help: “Rainfall as an Energy Source” by Curt Harting, November 28, 2010, Submitted as coursework for Physics 240, Stanford University, Fall 2010

Rainfall as an Energy Source - Stanford

ahh thank you

Bystander said:
Rainfall? Or, Greywater? There are orders of magnitude different volumes you are handling.
well the main project is grey water is I would go with that. but have mentioned rainfall as like a back up

1. How does rainfall generate electricity?

Rainfall generates electricity through a process called hydroelectric power. This involves harnessing the energy of flowing water, such as from a river or waterfall, to turn a turbine and generate electricity.

2. What materials are needed for this project?

The materials needed for this project include a rain gauge, a container to collect rainwater, wires, a small turbine, and a generator. You may also need a multimeter to measure the voltage and current produced.

3. What is the efficiency of this method of generating electricity?

The efficiency of hydroelectric power varies depending on factors such as the size of the turbine and the flow of water. On average, it has an efficiency of around 90%, making it a relatively efficient method of generating electricity.

4. Can this project be done at home?

Yes, this project can be done at home with the right materials and tools. However, it is important to note that the amount of electricity generated will be small and may not be enough to power larger devices.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when working with electricity and water?

Yes, it is important to take proper safety precautions when working with electricity and water. Make sure to use waterproof materials, avoid touching wires while they are connected to a power source, and always have an adult supervise the project if being done by a child.