1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the angle of the transmitted electric field.

1. Nov 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Plane polarized light is incident in air at an angle of incidence of 30 degrees on a glass surface with its electric field vector vibrating at 60 degrees to the plane of incidence. Calculate the angle between the transmitted electric field vector and the plane of incidence.

2. Relevant equations
    ni sin(thetai) = ntsin(thetat)
    n = 1.51 for glass

tp = ((2ni*cos(thetai))/[(ntcos(thetai) + (nicos(thetat))]

ts = ((2ni*cos(thetai))/[(nicos(thetai + ntcos(thetat))]

3. The attempt at a solution

The answer supplied is thetagamma = 59.6 degrees. (supplied by professor)

I know the right way to approach this is to set tan(gamma) = ratio of the perpendicular part of the E-field over the parallel part of the E-field in the material (i.e. the glass). Rewrite equation to in terms of ts and tp and tan(gamma) in the incident.

How to actually do this? I have no idea. I got this far and it took my an entire weekend to get this far. This a question on a test, I got the highest grade and I am the only undergrad in the class, and we all still failed. Any ideas?

The attached .pdf is my attempts at solving the problems.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?