How do I calculate the phase integral for the Bond albedo in astrophysics?

• Thread starter melkorthefoul
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Albedo Bond
In summary, the speaker is working on an IB Extended essay on astrophysics and is currently in the planning stage. Their goal is to calculate the surface temperature of an extrasolar planet and they have completed most of the calculations, but are stuck on calculating the Bond albedo. They are familiar with the geometric albedo but need help understanding the variables in the phase integral formula. They ask for assistance and express gratitude for any help they may receive.
melkorthefoul
Hi,

Im doing an IB Extended essay on astrophysics, on the planning stage.

My aim is to calculate the surface temperature of an extrasolar planet.

I have most of the caculations done, but I am stuck on just one part - calculating the Bond albedo of the planet. I know what the geometric albedo is, but how do I calculate the phase integral?

Thanks

P.S
Pls don't just post the formula for the phase integral... pls explain what all of the variables actually stand for

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I would really like ANY help I could have :)

Thanks for all of the views, any answers?

1. What is the definition of bond albedo?

Bond albedo is the measure of the reflectivity of a planet or other celestial body, representing the proportion of incident light that is reflected back into space. It takes into account both the visible and near-infrared wavelengths of light.

2. How is bond albedo calculated?

Bond albedo is calculated by determining the ratio of the amount of light reflected by a planet or other celestial body to the amount of light it receives from the sun. This can be done using instruments such as satellites or ground-based telescopes.

3. What factors influence the bond albedo of a planet?

The bond albedo of a planet is influenced by a variety of factors, including its atmospheric composition, surface properties (such as color and texture), and the presence of reflective materials like ice or clouds. The angle at which sunlight strikes the planet's surface also plays a role.

4. Why is bond albedo an important measurement for scientists?

Bond albedo is an important measurement for scientists because it provides valuable information about the energy balance of a planet or other celestial object. A high bond albedo indicates that a large amount of light is being reflected back into space, which can have implications for the planet's temperature and climate.

5. How does bond albedo differ from geometric albedo?

Bond albedo differs from geometric albedo in that it takes into account all wavelengths of light, while geometric albedo only considers visible light. This means that bond albedo provides a more comprehensive and accurate measure of a planet's reflectivity.