1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the concentration of sodium hydroxide using calorimetry

1. Apr 2, 2008 #1
    I need to determine the concentration of 100cm3 of aqueous sodium hydroxide solution (approximately to 2 mol dm-3) using 200cm3 of sulphuric acid by calorimetry (Enthalpy of neutralisation).

I am using E=mct. As its an exothermic reaction i will be finding the temperature difference. From this i can calculate energy.

I am not sure how to calculate the concentration from here. The enthalpy of neutralisation is -57 kj mol-1 if i have 0.5:1 mol ratio or 1:2 -114 kj mol-1 is it true that the enthalpy output changes when this happens.

Using this information how would i go about calculating the concentration of sodium hydroxide.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?