Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the Curvature of a Complex Manifold

1. Jan 15, 2009 #1
    Hey everyone,
    (First off, this is not a HW question, but I can move it there if you are unhappy about my choice) I'm trying to figure out how to calculate the curvature scalar of a complex manifold. As a test case, I am using [tex]\mathbb{C}P^1[/tex], which has the Fubini-Study metric on it:

Using Cartan's differential forms, I can get the curvature two-form to be
    Where my flat coordinate is

However, I am stuck at the next step. I should be able to use the connection between the curvature two-form and the Riemann curvature in the following way:
    [tex]\Omega^{\mu}_{~\nu}=\frac{1}{2}R^{\mu}_{~\nu\rho\eta}e^{\rho}\wedge e^{\eta}[/tex]

Then I can get the scalar curvature from that. But what will the components of the Riemann tensor look like since my coordinate is complex? In other words, instead of a (2,0)-form my curvature is actually a (1,1)-form, perhaps best notated by [tex]\Omega^1_{~\bar{1}}[/tex]. Then, will my Riemann tensor have components that look like [tex]R^{1}_{~\bar{1}1\bar{1}}[/tex]? If so, when I calculate the scalar curvature, will my sum be over "complex indices" like
    Things start to look rather strange...can anyone shed some light on this stuff?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted