Calculating the cut out section of a box

In summary: So, from V = L^2s, we have L = sqrt(V/s). Now, since L = 10-2s, we can substitute that into the equation and solve for s. In summary, the conversation is about finding the size of the squares that need to be removed from the corners of a square sheet of metal to create a rectangular box without a top with a volume of 50cm^3. The formulas for Tangent Line Approximation and Newton's Method are mentioned but are not relevant to solving the problem. The solution involves finding the base length of the box, L, and substituting it into the formula V = L^2s to solve for s.
Emethyst

Homework Statement

a rectangular box with no top is formed by cutting out equal squares from the corners of a square sheet of metal, 10 cm by 10cm, and bending up the 4 sides. What size of square must be removed from each corner to generate a box with a volume of 50cm^3? (Note: there are 2 answers.)

Homework Equations

Tangent Line Approximation and Newton's Method

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a question where I do not know where to start. I know I am supposed to find the height of the box using the volume formula and am given the volume, but I don't know how to calculate the length. To me this seems to be a change in value question, where the volume is changing, but I don't think this is right :tongue:. Could anyone be of assistance here please to get me on the right track for this question? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
first of all, Tangent Line Approximation and Newton's Method will be of no help to you here.

Code:
. . . . _______________ . . . .
.      |               |      .
.      | s           s |      .
.______|               |______.
|   s                     s   |
|                             |
|   s                     s   |
|______                 ______|
.      |               |      .
.      | s           s |      .
. . . .|_______________|. . . .

|<---------- 10cm ----------->|

As to solving the problem, try looking at my picture.

EDIT: you shouldn't need any calculus to do this.

Thanks foxjwill, I just put down both the tangent line approximation and Newton's Method because this is a question from those sections in my Calculus unit :tongue:. So from what I can see, 10-2s=L (or A=L^2-4s^2, V=L^2s) , where s is what I am looking for. I need to find L first then plug it into one of the formulas to find s. Would this be a case of substituting one equation into another, or would this be wrong?

*L is the variable I assigned to the base sides, in case no one knew where that came from.

Emethyst said:
Thanks foxjwill, I just put down both the tangent line approximation and Newton's Method because this is a question from those sections in my Calculus unit :tongue:. So from what I can see, 10-2s=L (or A=L^2-4s^2, V=L^2s) , where s is what I am looking for. I need to find L first then plug it into one of the formulas to find s. Would this be a case of substituting one equation into another, or would this be wrong?

Yup. it would be a case of substituting one equation into another.

What is the formula for calculating the cut out section of a box?

The formula for calculating the cut out section of a box is (2h x w) + (2h x l) - (2h x x), where h is the height of the box, w is the width of the box, l is the length of the box, and x is the width or length of the cut out section.

How do I determine the dimensions of the cut out section?

The dimensions of the cut out section can be determined by measuring the width and length of the cut out on all sides of the box. These measurements can then be plugged into the formula (2h x w) + (2h x l) - (2h x x) to calculate the area of the cut out section.

What is the purpose of calculating the cut out section of a box?

The purpose of calculating the cut out section of a box is to determine the remaining surface area of the box after a section has been removed. This is useful for packaging and shipping purposes, as it allows for accurate calculations of the amount of material needed and the space required for the box.

Can the cut out section of a box be of any shape?

Yes, the cut out section of a box can be of any shape as long as its dimensions are accurately measured and plugged into the formula (2h x w) + (2h x l) - (2h x x). This includes square, rectangular, circular, and irregular shapes.

Are there any other factors that need to be considered when calculating the cut out section of a box?

Aside from the dimensions, it is important to also consider the thickness of the material used for the box. This will affect the overall volume and weight of the box, which can impact packaging and shipping costs.