Throwing a Coin: Calculating the Distance

• Thread starter pivu0
  • Start date
In summary, the coin falls into the well 1.5 seconds after being thrown and the acceleration is 9.81 m/s². The coin begins at 0 speed and the depth of the well is 10.59 m. To solve for the t2 time it takes for the sound to reach the top again, x= 0+0+(9.81*t1²)/2. x= 11.04 m.
pivu0

Homework Statement

You throw a coin into a well, 1.5 seconds later you hear a splash

the acceleratoin is g, 9.81 m/s², the beginnig speed is 0

Homework Equations

x= x0 + v0t + (at²)/2

The Attempt at a Solution

x= 0+0+ (9.81*1.5²)/2

x= 11.04 m

Yet this is not the sulotion.
I think I have to use the speed of sound into the equation (340m/s right?), however I have no idea where I have to do this...

Physics news on Phys.org

The coin didn't fall for 1.5 seconds, it fell for some time t1 and then it took some time t2 for the sound to travel back to you. t1+t2 = 1.5seconds. The distance it fell is equal to the distance sound will travel in t2 seconds (speed of sound *t2). When you set it up, you'll have 2 equations and 2 unknowns; after solving for t2, multiply that by the speed of sound to get the answer...

x= 0+0+(9.81*t1²)/2

x=t2*speed of sound

x=x

(9.81*t1²)/2=t2*speed of sound

so (9.81*t1²)/ (2*speed of sound)= t2

1.5s= t1+t2
1.5s= t1 + ((9.81*t1²)/ (2*speed of sound)

Like this?

Anyone? Is this correct?

Looks ok, do you get reasonable answers?

Yes I do :)

It takes the coin 1.469 s to reach the bodom and the sound does 0.031s for reaching the top again!

The well is 10.59m deep :)

Well done - ;)
It's amazing how many people will get an answer almost correct - make a little mistake but then happily write down any riduculous answer that their calculator tells them without any further thinking!

Last edited:

mgb_phys said:
It's amazing how many people will get an answer almost correct - make a little mistake but then happily write down any riduculous answer that their calculator tells them without any further thinking!
Are you talking about the answer in the OP, or the answer in post #6? The answer in post #6 looks correct to me.

D H said:
The answer in post #6 looks correct to me.
Yes, I was congratulating the OP on actualy checking that the answer was reasonable rather than just writing it down, following from my previous question.
Somebody in another question wrote an answer like t=1234567890.12345678901234567890 and said it must have been correct because they used Matlab to get all the decimal places!

Sorry reading the reply now it isn't clear ! I should have said that it was correct.

Thank you all!

It's not that hard if you think about it.

It's just that I'm used to using a equation directly after hearing a problem, I should first think it easy, Like the 1.5s= t1+t2 and that they both have the same x...

1. How do you calculate the distance a coin will travel when thrown?

The distance a coin will travel when thrown can be calculated using the formula: distance = (initial velocity)^2 * sin(2*angle)/gravity, where the initial velocity is the speed at which the coin is thrown, the angle is the angle at which the coin is thrown, and gravity is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

2. What factors affect the distance a coin will travel when thrown?

The main factors that affect the distance a coin will travel when thrown are the initial velocity, angle of throw, and air resistance. Other factors that may have a smaller impact include the shape and weight of the coin, as well as external factors such as wind and elevation.

3. Can you use the same formula to calculate the distance for any coin?

Yes, the formula for calculating the distance a coin will travel when thrown can be used for any coin, as long as the initial velocity, angle, and gravity are known. However, keep in mind that the results may vary slightly depending on the specific properties of the coin.

4. How accurate is the distance calculated using this formula?

The calculated distance using this formula is an approximation and may not be 100% accurate. Factors such as air resistance and external factors may affect the actual distance traveled. Additionally, human error in measuring the initial velocity and angle may also contribute to slight inaccuracies.

5. Is there a simpler way to calculate the distance a coin will travel when thrown?

There are other methods for calculating the distance a coin will travel when thrown, such as using projectile motion equations. However, the formula mentioned earlier is a simplified version that can provide a good estimate of the distance traveled without needing to consider other factors like air resistance.