Calculating the Dieing Time of a Pendulum

In summary, the speaker needs to calculate the "dying time" or period of a pendulum with a 15kg lead ball and 15m wire. They are unsure of the correct terminology and ask for help with the calculation and finding any necessary coefficients. Another participant suggests finding the friction coefficient, but notes that it may vary for each pendulum. The speaker also mentions using the density and mass of the lead ball to calculate air resistance, but acknowledges it may require some guessing or integration. They suggest using Excel for iterations.
beawolf
Hi everybody,

I need to calculate a pendulums dieing time(I don't know actually what the correct word in English is for that. It is the time between the starting of swinging and the end of swinging). The ball of pendulum is 15kg made of lead and the wire is 15m. I have only these values. How can I calculate this? If I need some coefficients, where can I find them?

Thanks...

(I hope that I opened this topic in right zone. And sorry for my bad English.)

Physics news on Phys.org
You need a friction coefficient. With no friction, the pendulum will never "die".
There is no way you can look that up- it is different for every pendulum.

(And your English is excellent. Far better than my (put almost any language here).)

Well, this is crazy enough it just might work. You know lead has a certain density, and you know the mass. Based on this, you can find the volume. Based on the shape of a sphere, the mass, and the size, one could calculate the air resistance with an assumed air density (just assume room temp.). That is, if you can calculate the velocity of the pendulum swinging.

I'm thinking it would involve some guessing, or some crazy integration. Perhaps you could set something up in Excel to do some iterations or something like that...

Related to Calculating the Dieing Time of a Pendulum

1. How do you calculate the dieing time of a pendulum?

The dieing time of a pendulum can be calculated using the formula: T = 2π√(l/g), where T is the dieing time, l is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What factors affect the dieing time of a pendulum?

The dieing time of a pendulum is affected by the length of the pendulum, the amplitude of its swing, and the acceleration due to gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and friction may also have a minor impact.

3. Can the dieing time of a pendulum be altered?

Yes, the dieing time of a pendulum can be altered by changing the length of the pendulum or the amplitude of its swing. However, the acceleration due to gravity remains constant and cannot be altered.

4. Why is it important to calculate the dieing time of a pendulum?

Calculating the dieing time of a pendulum is important for understanding the motion and behavior of pendulums. It is also used in various applications, such as clock mechanisms and seismology.

5. Are there any real-life examples of pendulums and their dieing time?

Yes, pendulums can be found in various real-life examples, such as grandfather clocks, playground swings, and seismometers. The dieing time of these pendulums can be calculated to determine their accuracy and stability.