Calculating the force exerted on structure by two large permanent magnets

In summary, as a mechanical engineering student, you may be unfamiliar with magnets, but in order to calculate the force between two magnets, you will need to know the magnetic field strength, magnetic flux density, and magnetic dipole moment of each magnet, which can typically be obtained from magnet suppliers. You can then use the general formula F=6k(qm*qm'*L2)/r2 to calculate the force.
Lewy1234
I am a mechanical engineering student so don't have experience in specifying magnets and or using them. So its out of my comfort zone.

I currently have a U shaped structure holding two large permanent magnets apart at either end. The magnets will need to be 200x200x40 in size and the gap is going to about 250mm. How do i calculate the force that will be exerted on the structure given typical specs from suppliers. What specs will i need and formulae?

I've had a look at literature and it seems to have been reading and derived the the classical formulae for force between magnets.

F=6k(qm*qm'*L2)/r2 and i Know that Mm = qmL

Is this the correct formula to use? If soo, I can't seem to find the variables to fit into the equation from typical data given from magnet suppliers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help would be greatly appreciated. The formula you have provided is a general equation for calculating the force between two magnets. However, in order to use it you will need to calculate the magnetic field strength at the gap distance and the magnetic flux density at the gap distance. Both of these values are typically provided by magnet suppliers. You will also need to know the magnetic dipole moment of each magnet, which should also be provided. Once you have these values, you can then plug them into the formula to get the force.

1. How do I calculate the force exerted on a structure by two large permanent magnets?

To calculate the force exerted on a structure by two large permanent magnets, you will need to know the strength of each magnet, the distance between them, and the orientation of the magnets. Then, you can use the equation F = (m1 x m2)/(d^2) to calculate the force.

2. What units are used to measure the force exerted by magnets?

The force exerted by magnets is typically measured in Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs).

3. Can the force exerted by magnets be repulsive or attractive?

Yes, the force exerted by magnets can be both repulsive and attractive, depending on the orientation of the magnets. If the poles of the magnets are facing each other, the force will be attractive. If the poles are facing away from each other, the force will be repulsive.

4. How does the distance between two magnets affect the force exerted on a structure?

The force exerted by magnets is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the magnets increases, the force decreases. Therefore, the closer the magnets are to each other, the greater the force exerted on the structure will be.

5. Can the force exerted by magnets be calculated for non-permanent magnets?

Yes, the force exerted by magnets can be calculated for non-permanent magnets as long as their strength and orientation are known. However, it is important to note that the force exerted by non-permanent magnets may change over time as their magnetism weakens.