1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the maximum reach of a crane which has a variable counter weight position

1. Dec 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A large tower crane is used to move heavy objects
    in a construction site. The crane uses a counter
    weight with a mass of mw = 1w.0 Mg (mega
    grams), and the top beam of the crane also has a
    mass of mc = 1x00.0 kg which is evenly distributed
    along the beam. The length of the top beam of
    the crane is L = 5y0.0 m. The counter weight can
    position a maximum distance - c = 1z0.0 m from
    the vertical support of the crane, and the load can
    be positioned a maximum distance of (L-c) from the vertical support of the crane. w,x,y and z refer to various integers.

b) While at its maximum reach, if the crane was to lift a mass of 1,000 kg and needed to
    lift this mass at an acceleration of 0.25g , where should the counter weight be
    positioned during this acceleration (distance – b)?

2. Relevant equations

Your standard distance from the fulcrum multiplied by weight equations.

3. The attempt at a solution

I've spent about an two hours trying to figure this out. I'm pretty stumped though. Don't have any workings as I don't have a clue as to what the idea of this problem is. I don't need a fully worked solution, just a bump in the right direction. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Re: Calculating the maximum reach of a crane which has a variable counter weight posi

Try rewriting the given values in a more conventional algebraic form, like mw = 1000+100w kg. That at least should allow you to write out some equations. But the variables w and x will appear in the answer. I don't see enough information here to eliminate those. Neither do I see any use for the value c. Maybe that's because this is only part of a longer question.

4. Dec 4, 2012 #3
    Re: Calculating the maximum reach of a crane which has a variable counter weight posi

Ok, I'm sorry. I may have been a little vague. This is my first post on here like. The integers w,x,y and Z are GIVEN integers. In my case w = 6, x = 2, y = 3 and z = 6.

5. Dec 4, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

OK, so post your attempt at writing and then using the equation. Keep everything as just unknown variables for now, not using any of the actual numbers given.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook