Confused by Unexpected Results: Acceleration & Moment of Inertia

In summary, higher acceleration should result in a lower coefficient for moment of inertia according to the equation I + 1 = t^2 g sin θ / a(x). However, this equation is inconsistent dimensionally and may not accurately reflect the relationship between acceleration and moment of inertia.
cal35182
Homework Statement
Hopefully you can see the equations I’ve attached...In my lab this week, we are rolling objects down a ramp. That gives us a time, so we are able to find the object’s acceleration. An object shaped like a hoop—a plastic lid—traveled faster than other objects, like cylinders—a AA battery. Ok, so everything would be fine, but I’m told that Moment of Inertia for a hoop should be higher: closer to I = MR^2, while other shapes have lower values, I = 0.5MR^2. That coefficient is what we are solving for, after we cancel out MR^2. If you look at the attached equations, and solve for I, youll get:

I + 1 = t^2 g sin θ / a(x)

So ***HOW DOES a higher value for a(x), acceleration, give me a larger value for the I coefficient?*** Again, faster objects like a hoop, should be closer to 1. But doesn’t having acceleration in the denominator mean these will be lower values? THANKS!
Relevant Equations
I = X * MR^2

a(x) = g sin θ / (1+I/MR^2)
Like I said, objects with the higher acceleration are giving me the lowest values. For a hoop, I got I=0.1*MR^2
For a cylinder, I got I=0.7*MR^2

this seems backwards, no?

Attachments

• 57C089E0-AE2E-4CBA-9485-49EA40A463B1.png
    57C089E0-AE2E-4CBA-9485-49EA40A463B1.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 96
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello @cal35182 , :welcome: !

Important lesson to learn here: In a lab you should evaluate immediately and not afterwards.
So that you at least have a chance to investigate why things go wrong -- as they will, according to Murphy's law

Your observation
cal35182 said:
An object shaped like a hoop—a plastic lid (*) —traveled faster than other objects, like cylinders—a AA battery.
Is rather contradictory to e.g. what we see here or here

With this lab you are in luck --- you can redo the experiment at home

(*) Is a plastic lid shaped like a hoop ?
are you sure a battery's mass is evenly distributed ?

Likes cal35182
Allow me to simplify my question:

Regadless or what the shapes are, regardless of any expected values,
Don't objects traveling down the ramp with higher Acceleration...If you plug that in, to solve for moment of Inertia,doesn't higher acceleration give you a LOWER number in front of MR^2?

Let's say we are going down a ramp that 20 degrees. So g *sin θ =9.8 * sin (20°) = 3.352

So I will give you some different accelerations.

A(x) = 2 m/s/s, compared to A(x) = 3 m/s/s

...Remember, we are solving 1 + I/MR^2 = g sin θ/Ax
We are going to simplify that to 1 + X, IF I=X*MR^2

Okay

So anyway,

lol...

1+ X = 3.352 [g * sin θ]/ 3 [Ax]
X = 0.117

1+ X = 3.352 / 2
X = 0.676See? That's my only question--Is Higher Acceleration supposed to give a LOWER coefficient for Moment of Inertia
Because my teacher says otherwise

Thank U

cal35182 said:
Is Higher Acceleration supposed to give a LOWER coefficient for Moment of Inertia
Yes.
cal35182 said:
If you look at the attached equations, and solve for I, youll get:

I + 1 = t^2 g sin θ / a(x)
No you don't. For a start, that equation is horribly inconsistent dimensionally. On the left you are adding a constant term to a term of dimension ML2, and on the right you have T2.
Try again.

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. In physics, acceleration is often represented by the symbol "a" and is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. How is acceleration related to moment of inertia?

Acceleration and moment of inertia are related through Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In the case of rotational motion, the moment of inertia is used instead of mass, and the acceleration is angular acceleration.

3. What factors affect moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia of an object depends on its mass, shape, and distribution of mass around its axis of rotation. Objects with larger masses or masses farther away from the axis of rotation have larger moments of inertia.

4. Why are my results for acceleration and moment of inertia unexpected?

There could be several reasons for unexpected results, such as errors in measurement, incorrect calculations, or unaccounted external forces. It is important to carefully check all steps in the experiment and identify any potential sources of error.

5. How can I improve the accuracy of my results for acceleration and moment of inertia?

To improve the accuracy of results, it is important to minimize sources of error and increase the precision of measurements. This can be achieved by using more precise instruments, taking multiple measurements, and ensuring proper calibration of equipment. Additionally, careful analysis and consideration of the experimental setup can help to identify and eliminate potential sources of error.