1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the orbital Velocity and orbital period.

1. Apr 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the orbital velocity of the satellite 300km above the MARS surface.
    Radius: R = 3396km
    Mass of mars: M = 6.419 x 1026kg
    Gravitational constant: G = 6.674 x 10-11m3/kg/s2

2. Relevant equations
    Vc2 = GM1/R

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've already posted once, but need more help. If one of the threads must be deleted, please delete the earlier one.
    I don't know how to put this into a calculator to get the answer I need, because I don't understand how to interpret the many units of measurement after the G constant. After combining the radius with the orbit distance, and thereafter plugging the equation and taking the result's square root -
    My current answer is 11591.0189394, which I take to mean "11.591" km/s, which must be incorrect.
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First, the mass of Mars listed in you problem statement is incorrect. The mass of Mars is 1/1000 of the value listed. :frown:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars

It's not clear what you are talking about here.

Calculators are used to crunch numbers, not units. You can do a separate reconciliation of the units to determine if you get the units of velocity (m/s). Remember to use consistent units for the values of R, M, and G in your calculations. If G has units of kg, m, and seconds, then M must have units of kg, and R must have units of meters.

Use the correct value for the mass of Mars and calculate the orbital velocity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted