Calculating the overall heat transfer coefficient for a "small pipes inside a large pipe" system

• Thread starter maistral
  • Start date
Summary
Resources or formulations on how to calculate the overall heat transfer coefficient for such systems.
Hello, I have a question with regard to equipment design.

How do I calculate the overall heat transfer coefficient for a large pipe who has smaller pipes in it? Say I have water flowing on the large pipe, and inside it there are three pipes with hot acid in them. Assuming they flow concurrently (or even countercurrently), how do I formulate their overall heat transfer coefficient equation? Is it still similar to a double-pipe heat exchanger?

Thanks

Google 'Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger.' All will be revealed.

ChemAir

Gold Member
And if you need a textbook reference, look up Unit Operations of Chemical Engineering, by McCabe, Smith, and Harriott. Chapter 15, Heat-Exchange Equipment. Mine's 4th edition, but newer editions are similar.