Heat Transfer Coefficient in Large Pipe w/Smaller Pipes

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the overall heat transfer coefficient for a large pipe with smaller pipes inside. The suggestion is to look into shell and tube heat exchangers, specifically in the textbook Unit Operations of Chemical Engineering by McCabe, Smith, and Harriott. Chapter 15, Heat-Exchange Equipment is recommended for further information.
maistral
TL;DR Summary
Resources or formulations on how to calculate the overall heat transfer coefficient for such systems.
Hello, I have a question with regard to equipment design.

How do I calculate the overall heat transfer coefficient for a large pipe who has smaller pipes in it? Say I have water flowing on the large pipe, and inside it there are three pipes with hot acid in them. Assuming they flow concurrently (or even countercurrently), how do I formulate their overall heat transfer coefficient equation? Is it still similar to a double-pipe heat exchanger?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Google 'Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger.' All will be revealed.

Likes anorlunda
And if you need a textbook reference, look up Unit Operations of Chemical Engineering, by McCabe, Smith, and Harriott. Chapter 15, Heat-Exchange Equipment. Mine's 4th edition, but newer editions are similar.

1. What is the heat transfer coefficient in large pipe with smaller pipes?

The heat transfer coefficient in this scenario refers to the rate at which heat is transferred from the larger pipe to the smaller pipes. It is a measure of how efficient the heat transfer process is.

2. How is the heat transfer coefficient affected by the size of the pipes?

The heat transfer coefficient is directly affected by the size of the pipes. Generally, the smaller the pipes, the higher the heat transfer coefficient will be. This is because smaller pipes have a larger surface area to volume ratio, allowing for more efficient heat transfer.

3. What factors influence the heat transfer coefficient in large pipe with smaller pipes?

Several factors can influence the heat transfer coefficient in this scenario, including the fluid properties, flow rate, pipe material, and surface roughness. Other factors such as temperature difference and insulation also play a role.

4. How can the heat transfer coefficient be calculated for this system?

The heat transfer coefficient can be calculated using various equations, such as the Dittus-Boelter equation or the Sieder-Tate equation. These equations take into account the fluid properties, flow rate, and other factors to determine the heat transfer coefficient.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding the heat transfer coefficient in large pipe with smaller pipes?

Understanding the heat transfer coefficient in this scenario is crucial in many industries, including chemical processing, power generation, and HVAC systems. It allows engineers to design more efficient systems and optimize heat transfer processes, leading to cost savings and improved performance.